1987 Wellcraft Gran sport rotation

rmo5095

Recruit
Hello all, I have a 1987 Well Craft Gran sport 454 mercs. V-Drives. Due to the fact that the starboard motor is missing the heads I am trying to determine if these motors are counter rotating or are they the same rotation and changed in the transmissions? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... The odds are 9999.9 to 1 that they're standard lefthanded motors,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Look at the distributor caps.
1638831415056.png
Chris.......

rmo5095

Recruit
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... The odds are 9999.9 to 1 that they're standard lefthanded motors,.....
Thanks for the response, so if this is true is the rotation changed in the transmission, I would imagine these are counter rotating correct?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Thanks for the response, so if this is true is the rotation changed in the transmission, I would imagine these are counter rotating correct?
The usual practice is for the starboard propeller to be spinning CW (standard rotation) and the port prop to be spinning CCW (counter rotation). Since most engines are CCW (as viewed from the flywheel), a 'standard' transmission reverses the rotation. So a 'reverse rotation' transmission will have the same direction going in as coming out. Yes, it sounds counter-intuitive.

Chris......