1987+ OMC trim/tilt relay box

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since the wires for my 1978 Johnson trim/tilt motor were cut about 2 inches from the engine mount bracket and I didn't get a relay box for it, I decided to use a 1987 era trim tilt unit I happened to have sitting around that I do have the relay box for. After looking at schematics for it I'm assuming the relay box was mounted to the block. If anyone has information/pictures of where the box is supposed to mount it would be greatly appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The relay box for the 1987 two wire systems mounted on the back of the outer exhaust manifold at the rear of the engine, under the cowling. The later exhaust manifolds were drilled to accept the box. Your 78 exhaust manifold is not drilled to accept this box. There are a couple of solutions to minimize rewiring: 1. buy a used outer exhaust manifold from a 1984 and later V4 engine and install it in place of your factory 78 manifold. 2. You may be able to make a bracket which will adapt to the bolt pattern on the manifold and support the relay box. Be careful to watch the grounds.