1987 Mercruiser 305 with cracked block

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
276
My plan was to get it started to see if it ran , which it did. Good sized outward crack starboard side, small crack port side. Was just gonna pull it and swap in a 78 350 I found with good compression. Till I discovered the crack bolt pattern on mine is smaller (one piece rms) and my planned replacement is bigger( 2 piece). So the flywheel that the coupler mounts to is or isn't the same for the older motor?
I am not gonna buy older motor is I can't simply make it work, right. Or do I ?
 

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
276
Are couples different between the 2 motors also? Someone told me to put a manual flywheel on the older block and I could mount my current triangle coupler? Or not
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,227
You need a 1986 or newer motor. The 1978 is 2 generations older

You want to stick within your generation or newer

I would suggest a 1996 or newer vs stepping backwards

FYI, the SBC major design change years are as follows

1968-1978
1979-1985
1986-1988
1989-1995
1996-2000
2001+
 
Top