1987 Johnson 50HP Tilt and Trim Pump Valve Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduval107

Cadet
Hi all,
I have been trying to repair a tilt trim issue with my '87 Johnson 50hp tilt and trim. The trim cylinders are the model with the cylinders on the outside of the engine used in the 70s and 80's. I bought the boat this past year and noticed the trim and tilt weren't functioning as they should. The motor tilts/trims out okay all the way up, but when I trim in there is heavy resistance and what appears to be a lot of back pressure in the cylinders (example: while trimming in the tilt cylinder outruns the trim cylinder causing a sort of binding, which slowly resolves after about 15 seconds). I disassembled and resealed both cylinders at this point and they both move easily and freely without any leaks. The system was reassembled and the same problem exists.

Looking into the valves now I find the check valves seals were bad and psuedo-following a forum by pnwboat, I replaced the check valve seats with small o-rings i had on hand (which did not working). I came across the parts I need to properly replace the seats (Briggs and Stratton Carburetor needle seat P/N:398188) and they should be here this weekend. Hopefully I am close to figuring this out.

While I wait for the new valve seats I want to make sure shuttle/pump control piston is going to work properly. My concern is that my pump control piston doesn't look like any other one ive seen on the forums and there were no traces of an o-ring installed, which probably disintegrated long ago. As seen in the image, it does not have the same o-ring groove as many of the others ive seen on iboat.
My Piston and check valve: My Check Valve and Piston.jpg
Others Piston and check valve: Other check valve1.jpg
Is my black piston designed to be sealed with orings or have something different in those grooves? Any insight would be helpful.

dduval107

Cadet
Hi all,
I have been trying to repair a tilt trim issue with my '87 Johnson 50hp tilt and trim. The trim cylinders are the model with the cylinders on the outside of the engine used in the 70s and 80's. I bought the boat this past year and noticed the trim and tilt weren't functioning as they should. The motor tilts/trims out okay all the way up, but when I trim in there is heavy resistance and what appears to be a lot of back pressure in the cylinders (example: while trimming in the tilt cylinder outruns the trim cylinder causing a sort of binding, which slowly resolves after about 15 seconds). I disassembled and resealed both cylinders at this point and they both move easily and freely without any leaks. The system was reassembled and the same problem exists.

Looking into the valves now I find the check valves seals were bad and psuedo-following a forum by pnwboat, I replaced the check valve seats with small o-rings i had on hand (which did not working). I came across the parts I need to properly replace the seats (Briggs and Stratton Carburetor needle seat P/N:398188) and they should be here this weekend. Hopefully I am close to figuring this out.

While I wait for the new valve seats I want to make sure shuttle/pump control piston is going to work properly. My concern is that my pump control piston doesn't look like any other one ive seen on the forums and there were no traces of an o-ring installed, which probably disintegrated long ago. As seen in the image, it does not have the same o-ring groove as many of the others ive seen on iboat.
My Piston and check valve: View attachment 358184
Others Piston and check valve: View attachment 358183
Is my black piston designed to be sealed with orings or have something different in those grooves? Any insight would be helpful.
Just FYI, Reassembled today. It dont believe it needs the o-rings on the shuttle.

Travels up and down very well in "tilt" region, but on trim in it slows down to snail pace. Motor bogs down and continues running, but takes maybe 45 seconds to make it to bottom of trim range in.. goes fine in trim out.

Might be taking apart the pump next to see if a pressure relief valve is stuck open on one of the two sides.

dduval107

Cadet
Any ideas on this issue? I do not want to pull pressure relief valves apart unless i really need to. To me it is acting like there needs to be a seal between the two sides of the pump, any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-07 191443.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-07 191443.png
    771.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Trim Tilt Issue 3.mp4
    21.6 MB · Views: 0

dduval107

Cadet
I am fairly certain i found the culprit. A poor connection on the Trim motor causing the "trim in" direction to receive less power/voltage.

I just happened to move the connector around when rewiring some accessories and the trim down stopped working all together. Trim up remained working fine. After forcing the connector back together the trim went at least twice as fast in and sounded much less labored.

dduval107

Cadet
I am fairly certain i found the culprit. A poor connection on the Trim motor causing the "trim in" direction to receive less power/voltage.

I just happened to move the connector around when rewiring some accessories and the trim down stopped working all together. Trim up remained working fine. After forcing the connector back together the trim went at least twice as fast in and sounded much less labored.
corrosion on the contacts causes motor power loss.74364831-0C61-42BB-B0B5-11FAB3C117E4.jpegA53911E3-C429-4348-A66F-0A50670A4EFB.jpeg

anselgreg

Recruit
Any ideas on this issue? I do not want to pull pressure relief valves apart unless i really need to. To me it is acting like there needs to be a seal between the two sides of the pump, any ideas?
Do you have a full view of that first pic you posted. I’m having issues with the same pump and I’d like to see how the valve body flow works

anselgreg

Recruit
When I took the valve body apart everything came out I believe I found everything. 2 Springs, 1 large ball, 2 medium balls,and one small ball. But I am not sure how they go in. Anyone have a picture or diagram???

tpenfield

Staff member
Please don't post to 'old' threads as per the forum rules. The OP has not been on the forum in quite some time and probably won't respond, but feel free to reach out to the OP via IM or start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.