1987 2.3L OMC Steering Questions

68 - 390

Cadet
Hello All,
I have recently noticed that when steering my boat I heard a slight knocking noise and had my friend assist me in scoping out the issue. In the attached picture item #16 moves side to side when steering and seems to have too much play back and forth. There also seems to be a rubber bushing or washer behind part #16 that isn't shown on the diagram. I'm wondering if this play side to side is normal and if there are any adjustments I can make to prevent this movement? Any help will definitely appreciated. Thanks,

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (3).jpg
    Untitled drawing (3).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 8

68 - 390

Cadet
Hello All,
I have recently noticed that when steering my boat I heard a slight knocking noise and had my friend assist me in scoping out the issue. In the attached picture item #16 moves side to side when steering and seems to have too much play back and forth. There also seems to be a rubber bushing or washer behind part #16 that isn't shown on the diagram. I'm wondering if this play side to side is normal and if there are any adjustments I can make to prevent this movement? Any help will definitely appreciated. Thanks,
Like to add another picture for more reference to my questions above.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-17 144313.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-17 144313.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Did you do this with the motor, Off,..??

That's the valve, 'n is loose, not running,....
With hyd pressure, it pushes the rack, as the cable actuates it,.....

Yer sloppy steering is somewhere else,.....
The knocking, I'm guessin' is failing u-joints,....

68 - 390

Cadet
Ayuh,...... Did you do this with the motor, Off,..??

That's the valve, 'n is loose, not running,....
With hyd pressure, it pushes the rack, as the cable actuates it,.....

Yer sloppy steering is somewhere else,.....
The knocking, I'm guessin' is failing u-joints,....
Yes this was performed while the engine was not running.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That is the old style Bendix actuator with the separate control valve and metal hydraulic lines. They are loose when the engine is off and get tighter when the engine starts and the pump supplies pressure. There is a grease fitting on the back side of it that might need grease but do NOT over grease it, like 1-2 gentle pumps with the grease gun is all it needs. I replaced my original with a good used unit and it isn't a fun job I can tell you that. Merc & OMC used this same unit up to about '89 or so and then changed to a different style with an integrated control valve.

68 - 390

Cadet
That is the old style Bendix actuator with the separate control valve and metal hydraulic lines. They are loose when the engine is off and get tighter when the engine starts and the pump supplies pressure. There is a grease fitting on the back side of it that might need grease but do NOT over grease it, like 1-2 gentle pumps with the grease gun is all it needs. I replaced my original with a good used unit and it isn't a fun job I can tell you that. Merc & OMC used this same unit up to about '89 or so and then changed to a different style with an integrated control valve.
Thanks so much Lou. I am testing the boat in the water this coming weekend so I'll report back and let you all know how it goes. I appreciate your help!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds good
My original actuator lasted 32 years!