1987 140hp

140budman

Recruit
Hello i am new to this . Anyway i am looking at a boat that has twin 140 johnsons 1987 with rebuilt power heads last year any advice? Thank you

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 140hp

They are good engines if properly rebuilt and cared for. They do need to be run. Any idea of what the compression readings are now? Have you seen the paperwork for the rebuild so you can verify what was done?

140budman

Recruit

They are good engines if properly rebuilt and cared for. They do need to be run. Any idea of what the compression readings are now? Have you seen the paperwork for the rebuild so you can verify what was done?

no I have not seen paper work yet but to go for sea trial next week thank you

emoney

Commander

What type advice are you looking for? The motors are known to be one of two things; good or bad and it all depends on the owner. I know that's a smidgeon facetious, but it really does come down to that. LIke Solittle said, if they've been cared for and then rebuilt properly, then they could last you a long time. Keep in mind, however, that there are tons of different variations of "rebuilt". Like he said, make sure they were actually rebuilt and it's been documented, otherwise assume it hasn't and proceed accordingly. I had a friend take me with him to look at a boat with a "rebuilt" motor and it turned out that meant the carbs were rebuilt and it had a new thermostat, plugs and wires installed. Far from "rebuilt".

If they've been cared for, like I said they're good, strong motors. However, they LOVE gasoline. I had one and it ranks towards the top of all the outboards I've owned over the years when it came to torque/hole shot, and it was smooth. But she loved to drink gasoline. I will say, though, that motor/boat is now on it's 2nd owner after me and still ripping and running up and down the Gulf. Of course, I had it totally "rebuilt" all the way down, so technically it was given a new lease on life while I had it. Still, the kids that bought it from me left it in the water year around and rarely ever flushed it.