1986 YAMAHA 50HP 2STROKE NO REVERSE STARTS IN FWD!!

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I've got a 1986 50 ELJ 2stroke motor. Just did full rebuild of powerhead. Also replaced plugs ,coils, and water pump. Put motor back on boat and hooked up control cables. When I start the motor (On muffs with shift/throttle lever in N) the prop is turning in fwd direction. When I move the lever towards reverse the prop stops, except for a small amount of movement in Reverse direction. It looks like the prop wants to spin but but is stopped by something after an inch or two of movement.
A little background. This motor is new to me and I have not actually used it on the water. I bought it attatched to an old Glastron runabout a couple years . The boat is in excellent condition and the motor very clean. Compression numbers were low so I did a full rebuild of powerhead, which was quite a learning experience ( 5 broken exhaust manifold bolts), but that's another story, lol! So now I've got much more money and time invested in this little motor and must see it through. any help/ advice/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I believe even those old motors were spring loaded into forward.
So you have to force them into neutral and reverse.
check to make sure you have both the motor and the controls on neutral when r the same gear when putting together