1986 yamaha 115 hp issues

ronaldwdubois

Recruit
my motor seems to run fine when its cool then it falls off all cylinders, i changed the stator and its still doing it, maybe a coil? Any help would be appreciated..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
my motor seems to run fine when its cool then it falls off all cylinders, i changed the stator and its still doing it, maybe a coil? Any help would be appreciated..

:welcome: Ronald to iboats. Great to have you join us.

So I take it, it runs great cold but as it warms up all cylinders stop firing. So that tells me that it isn't simply a coil. Because all the coils would have to stop firing at the same time. So you need to look for what ever is triggering those coils for your problem. Now if the coils drop out one at a time, then yes you have all the coils with problems. But what are the odds for that? If it stops instantly then look for the trigger for those coils. Other wise, if it starts slowing down, see which coils dropped out and stopped firing the plug. You can do that with an inductive timing light attacked to each coil individually so see what is going on. If one coil drops out and the rest still work, look to see if the trigger for that coil is still good. If it is, replace the coil, if it isn't see what caused the trigger to not work for that coil... JMHO!