1986 Starcraft Mariner resto

I recently bought a 18 ft 86 Mariner in need of a lot of tlc and elbow-greese. So, I have been stalkin just about all of the Starcraft restoration projects for the past month or so to get an idea of what I have gotten myself into. I have really enjoyed the restos that I have seen and am very excited to get started. I am new to aluminum boats and have many questions. I will post some pics as soon as I get some.

Re: 1986 Starcraft Mariner resto

I got some more pictures of what I have accomplished this weekend. Removed carpet, old wood, and foam. Vacuumed out the dirt and remnants of plywood and foam. Filled the hull and checked for leaks... found about 12. I believe that all of the leaks are due to electrolysis and not loose rivets. I will get a closer look at it later.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Excellent rig Ft. Pierce! Very sharp! Looks like you made quick work of the cardboard/mulch deck you had there.

Welcome man! You have a really great project to work with, congrats:D

Thanks, Jasoutside! I'm really excited about this project. I'm currently working two jobs so progress will be slow until summer. But a much needed project indeed.

sprintst

Commander

Keep plugging away. You'll get her done...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great looking hull there FtPierce. Welcome to the Starmada and good luck with your project.

Thanks guys... I am debating on what to patch some tiny holes in the hull with. I have looked up Marine Tex putty (white and gray... any difference?) and plan on Gluvit-ing the rivets when I'm done patching. Opinions?

PS I really enjoy stalking all of your restoration threads!:D

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a beaut! I'll be watch'in this one come together! :cool:

The biggest holes are about size of the ball end of a ballpoint pin, maybe a hair bigger. Big enough to pee a pretty good stream when I flouded the hull.

I like the price of JB Weld better. Is is just as good as Marine Tex? If so I'm all over it! Another question: Should I use marine grade plywood for the deck?

I have found descent prices for 1/2 marine Fir plywood, but the exterior A/C pine is half the cost. I would rather keep costs down, but I try and do things right the first time.

Thanks.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the SC fleet, nice Mariner project you have there.

I like arauco ply, I paid around $18/sheet for 3/4" and it has very few voids.

Marine grade is better but once sealed with epoxy resin both are strong and waterproof.

The A/C ply you refer to might be similar to arauco, basically a good exterior grade. Just don't use treated wood, not good for aluminum.

I like the Mariner layout, sometimes I wish my 16' SS was a CC.:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I like arauco ply, I paid around $18/sheet for 3/4" and it has very few voids.

Did you really Mike! Wow, that is a super deal!

Yah, I agree with HA here. Arauco plywood has marine grade qualities at a very non marine grade price.

Have fun!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Where did you buy the arauco plywood? Local or chain store?

I picked up the 3/4" at Lowe's and later I grabbed some 1/2" for my side panels at Menard's which is a Michigan regional type chain hardware store. Try calling a few Lowe's and check, there's one near me that carries it and one that does not for some reason.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Did you really Mike! Wow, that is a super deal!

Yah, I agree with HA here. Arauco plywood has marine grade qualities at a very non marine grade price.

Have fun!

I double checked the prices, the 1/2" is $18...3/4" is $27. So I was mixed up on prices but still a very good deal on some good plywood.:)

Thanks for the plywood info. I will check out my local Lowe's store.

As for the JB Weld. Does it resist corrosion? The boat will be used in salt water for the most part. I checked out their website but it was not very specific about corrosion resistance. I did notice that they make a "marine" JB weld and I'm wondering if it is significantly different than the normal stuff... or maybe not?

Also, I am ordering some Gluvit and found it at Wholesale Marine for $38 a quart not including shipping. This way cheaper than at our local Marine supply stores. Is there anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks for the help.:D