1986 Ski Centurion - wake has too big a hump

Jeff South

Recruit
We love our old boat, but the hump in the wake is in my way. How do I lessen the hump? Thinking about changing out the prop. I don't have the specs on the prop right now but wonder if it would help.

TheLostOne

Cadet
Doubt the prop will get rid of the rooster tail. You might try redistributing weight and/or adding some weight to the nose area. This can help reduce your issue, at least it did in my case and it is the cheapest.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We love our old boat, but the hump in the wake is in my way. How do I lessen the hump? Thinking about changing out the prop. I don't have the specs on the prop right now but wonder if it would help.
For comparison, below is a pic skiing behind our 1991 Mastercraft (some old guy on 2 skis, going faster would reduce 'the hump') in the photo probably only going about 22 mph. Boat speed and line-length are 2 things to mess with ( and only "cost" more skiing).

How fast are you going when 'the hump is in your way, and what does it look like?
skiing.JPG

TheLostOne

Cadet
Yeah, the dreaded 22' off rooster tail. As the back of the boat goes deeper, the bump gets bigger. Just look at all the wake surfing boat wakes.
If the back rides shallower, it gets smaller.
It also moves closer and further from the boat depending on speed.
No need to spend money if you can change depth, line length or speed.