1986 Ranger steering gear

57chevyeddie

Seaman Apprentice
I need to find some help with my steering cables. While at the lake last Friday my steering was stiff but functional. Suddenly I noticed I could'nt turn starboard. I took the steering arm loose from the engine and it turns freely. It seems like the gear slipped and let the steering get off center. How many revolutions at the wheel should I expect to see. I have around two revolutions of the wheel with the steering arm disconnected. Maybe there's a link to a set up procedure I could use. Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1986 Ranger steering gear

You mentioned Cables (as in two??) Some boats have two cables.

Look under your dash and see if you have a rack and pinion which will be a long piece with gear teeth that moves left to right or see if you have a rotary where the cable is fed into a drum and exits on the same side that it enters.

It is common for cables to go bad and they can be ordered here on iboats.

Look at the teleflex website for technical instructions.

57chevyeddie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Ranger steering gear

I see two cables coming from under the dash running along the starboard side under the rail to the engine. The steering wheel is turning a gear that is almost hidden. I see two long narrow flat looking strips that I believe move as the wheel is turned. The cables go to the long (14 inches or so) flat pieces. Is this what is referd to as the rack? I stuck my head in there but its hard to see how the cables attach. Maybe there's a web site, video or other pictures that would help me familiarize myself with this system.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member