1986 mercruiser not shifting right from forward to neutral

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced the lower shift cable on a 86 mercruiser outdrive. Reverse works perfect. But when i go from forwrd to neutral i actually have to go slightly past the neutral detent to actually go in neutral. I checked the cable from the throttle lever to the shift bracket assembly and it moves with the throttle lever properly. Any ideas? I'm assuming one of the cables just need to be tweeked slightly, Also the stud that the shift cable attaches to is at the bottom of the slot.

I have a 1986 baja sunsport 185 6 cyl 4.3 gm. And last weekend we were out on the lake when the boat lost power. The engine turns over and the throttle works. However when I was accelerating it poped out of gear and will not go back into gear. With the motor off I can shift into forward and feel the gear engage as I twist the prop cw, opposite for reverse , and neutral prop spins freely. I can see the shaft from the universal joint spinning inside by the flywheel housing, but that's all I got. Can I get to the fly wheel from the stern drive or do I have to hoist the engine out? Thanks a lot Travis

I have a 1986 baja sunsport 185 6 cyl 4.3 gm. And last weekend we were out on the lake when the boat lost power. The engine turns over and the throttle works. However when I was accelerating it poped out of gear and will not go back into gear. With the motor off I can shift into forward and feel the gear engage as I twist the prop cw, opposite for reverse , and neutral prop spins freely. I can see the shaft from the universal joint spinning inside by the flywheel housing, but that's all I got. Can I get to the fly wheel from the stern drive or do I have to hoist the engine out? Thanks a lot Travis

I have a 1986 baja sunsport 185 6 cyl 4.3 gm. And last weekend we were out on the lake when the boat lost power. The engine turns over and the throttle works. However when I was accelerating it poped out of gear and will not go back into gear. With the motor off I can shift into forward and feel the gear engage as I twist the prop cw, opposite for reverse , and neutral prop spins freely. I can see the shaft from the universal joint spinning inside by the flywheel housing, but that's all I got. Can I get to the fly wheel from the stern drive or do I have to hoist the engine out? Thanks a lot

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Lime4x4, could be that the shift interrupt switch needs a tweak.
Wanda, start you own post, you get more responses, but seeing the shaft move inside the boat means the coupler went, engine needs to be remove for repairs.