1986 Mercruiser 260 Advice

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Haha thank you all. Realized in misspoke with I called it a pre-alpha. Confirmed it is a R/MR and I will be rebuilding it.

Ordered T4 Rotella 15w40 (non synthetic), just looking for the oil filter now. Ordered an oil extraction pump also.
Small block Chevy has used one of two oil filters since 1955, short one or long one. Any auto parts store will have.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Haha thank you all. Realized in misspoke with I called it a pre-alpha. Confirmed it is a R/MR and I will be rebuilding it.

Ordered T4 Rotella 15w40 (non synthetic), just looking for the oil filter now. Ordered a oil extraction pump also.
Very common filter that you can get anywhere.Pretty much any GM V8 car, truck etc take the same in that same year range. I think AC Delco PF 25, I am going by memory and usually get the letters wrong.Charlie

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright... for the life of me i can't find the oil dipstick. I have the port side exhaust manifold off as all and I'm looking all over... what am i missing?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
On some 260 models the dipstick is accessed from the front stbd area of the engine assy. Painted black so as to visually blend in nicely with surrounding areas.

Later/other models mcm/mie used a yellow colored pull end so as for quick identification

todhunter

Canoeist
Alright... for the life of me i can't find the oil dipstick. I have the port side exhaust manifold off as all and I'm looking all over... what am i missing?
My boat is a 1987 with a Mercruiser 260hp. See the picture below - red arrow points to where my oil dipstick is. It is at the front of the engine, amidst the pulleys and coolant hoses.

20230623_070913.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Chevy moved the dipstick to the starboard side, in 1979,.......

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is the only pic i have right now. Still have had no luck locating it. I'll take more pictures next time I'm out at the boat.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
This cropped in maybe? Kind of looks right?
Starboard valve cover near fill cap...
20240511_150348.jpg