1986 Johnson VRO 70, three oil plugs ?

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just did both propshaft seals and the rear o-ring for the bearing retainer on my sisters outboard. I noticed it has three oil plugs, a bottom, a middle, and a top.

Am I to assume you fill it to the middle one and the top is a vent, or do you fill it to the top?

Oil came out of all three.

I don't have a manual or anything on this thing.

-- Joe

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put the middle phillips screw back in you do not need to use it for anything. The only time that screw comes out is when you are disassembling the lower unit. You need to use the 2 straight blade screws for filling. Take both the screws out and fill from the bottom until it comes out the top screw. Then put the top screw in while holding pressure until tight. Then put the bottom screw in and you are done.

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put the middle phillips screw back in you do not need to use it for anything. The only time that screw comes out is when you are disassembling the lower unit. You need to use the 2 straight blade screws for filling. Take both the screws out and fill from the bottom until it comes out the top screw. Then put the top screw in while holding pressure until tight. Then put the bottom screw in and you are done.

Perfect, thank you!

-- Joe

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The middle screw prevents the pinion bearing from moving due to oil pressure.