1986 johnson gt 150 gear case shot?

Toallhisdoom

Cadet
So today took boat out. 1986 skeeter 175 with a johnson gt150.
ran good across the lake. Coming back i started to get on plane and as soon as i got above 5mph CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Vibrated the boat. Faster i went faster it clunked.

Got home drained the gear oil and it looked like metalic silver paint.

So trying to figure out where to go from here. Going to pull the gear case apart tomorrow. Anyone recomend a good pdf manual?

Hopwfully just sheared off the forward gear and can just replace? Dont know much about these things so if anyone has any advice or thoughts or tips about how to disasemble this thing please let me know!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Unless you've been into lower units before, you will want to take the lower unit to a marine expert for an estimate on repairs. Metal pcs in the lower is usually not a good sign.

Toallhisdoom

Cadet
I mean I have torn down and rebuilt engines. With a repair manual I think I should be able to handle it. Unless theres a lot more to this then it looks...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nothing to it really.-----This will get expensive in a hurry.----The only thing tricky is shimming the replacement pinion gear properly.---A shop with the proper tool can do that for you in minutes.

SparkieBoat

Captain
a lot of people buy a used gearcase. the cost to rebuild is too much. as FAZ said you can get a brand new SEI gearcase for what it will cost to get yours rebuilt,.

Last edited:

Toallhisdoom

Cadet
Alrighty then. So where is a reputible place to buy a remaned case?

So I guess this was the easy part. Now comes the hard part with bearing pullers and shims and what not.... maybe I should just buy a remaned.

Attachments

• 20150621_084853.jpg
    20150621_084853.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove waterpump.----Remove the 4 bolts found there,-------Pry out the upper bearing housing.---If that upper thrust bearing is good then there is hope.------Perhaps ask the seller to do the same.------Your location does matter in finding a good lower unit.