1986 Johnson 70 not charging

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally got around to putting the pontoon boat in, and I noticed my voltage gauge (digital) is showing only 12 volts when running and no decrease when the engine is off. Appears to not be charging. Tach is working properly though. Not very familiar with the electrical system on this. Would you assume just a bad rectifier or could the stator be bad?

Where does the "charge" wire from the rectifier get spliced to the battery ? Is it somewhere under the helm or part of the engine harness and its spliced to the battery lead at the solenoid ?

Thanks!

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wee red wire at the solenoid.

Ok Thanks. So the charge circuit is all contained in the power head. I ask because I changed the helm, wanted to make sure I didn't goof something.

So if the tach works would one assume the stator is fine or is the charge part of the stator separate ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stator does 2 things.----Charges the battery via the rectifier.----Provides voltage pulses to the powerpack for ignition,----Rectifier is not that much $$ and easy to change out.

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The new rectifier appears to have solved the problem. See 13.6 volts now when cruising. Thanks!