1986 Johnson 60 sounds odd

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Was out fishing in a boat that had a 60hp Johnson that I sold a few years ago

It sounds odd when idling. Sounds more like an inverter style 4stroke generator and not a 2stroke.
Super quiet. Super smooth. Similar when cruising across the lake on plane but not WOT. No stalling, lean sneezes or anything. Low smoke.

Carbs settings were factory setting by manual when I rebuilt them.

Anything he should be looking into, or is this normal for these motors (and the two OMC triples I’m currently running are total junk, cause they don’t run like this one)

Could the premix be too lean? Vro is disconnected

TIA

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
No idea what you're asking. You mention a funny noise, then describe how perfectly it runs. I have no idea what an inverter style 4 stroke generator sounds like. You say it has a funny noise, but then describe how quiet it is. I'm very confused.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
No idea what you're asking. You mention a funny noise, then describe how perfectly it runs. I have no idea what an inverter style 4 stroke generator sounds like. You say it has a funny noise, but then describe how quiet it is. I'm very confused.
Sorry to be confusing. Two-stroke motors have sort of a rough rump rump rump sound or “ring – ding – ding “ sound to them when they’re idling. And the motor will shake and twitch.

This motor runs absolutely dead smooth. Has no rump rump rump or twitchy “Head shakes”.

So when it is running it sounds like a generator. Softly purring away without shaking or Jumpy exhaust notes etc. It doesn’t sound normal for a two stroke.

I would just like to know if this is something to be concerned with. I sold this motor in good faith to a close personal contact. I want to make sure it lasts a long time for him

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Rebuilt a 140 HP Johnson for the cousin many years ago.----When he picked it up he said " wow , does that ever run nice and smooth and quiet "-----I know that many folks do not know what a motor in good condition sounds like.-----Many folks think that when a motor car run , then everything must be OK I think !!

tphoyt

Ensign
A Great running motor can have almost a harmonic hum to it. Maybe it’s just me but I can hear it best at wot and enjoy listing to it.
Don’t over think it and just enjoy it until you can’t.
I was once peacefully listing to this sound of a Detroit 671 with my eyes closed when the turbo blew. Terrible way to come out if a peaceful moment.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Had an individual call me about a motor issue about 25 years ago.-----Connecting rod came out the side of a 125 HP Evinrude.----Said he had owned it for 4 years.-----Installed a low hr replacement powerhead.----After a test run out on the lake he said / admitted ----" You were right , I had no idea what a V-4 Evinrude is supposed to sound like "-----His old one ran , but was rattling / banging !!