1986 Johnson 30 water pump

MN30hp

Cadet
Hello, new to the forum. I have a 1986 Johnson 30 that I'm replacing the water pump on. A couple observations right off the bat: 1. It appears I am missing the stud at the front of the lower unit. Can someone confirm this and guide me on finding and installing a new one? I looked at one site and it said the stud was discontinued. Would a proper sized bolt work? This might explain the excess water that has been shooting out when I run it on the hose... 2. The shift linkage nut and tapered keeper are upside down from the video I saw online. Does this mean I have to remove the water pump housing before I can slide the lower unit off? Thanks20210919_224324.jpg20210919_223824.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope-----You have to slide the upper nut up.----Then remove the keeper from the upper shift rod.-------Lower unit should now slide off.

MN30hp

Cadet
Nope-----You have to slide the upper nut up.----Then remove the keeper from the upper shift rod.-------Lower unit should now slide off.
Thanks, it wouldn't slide up when I attempted. Must need some more elbow grease.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has to slide up.----Often times the paint prevents it from going up !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The front stud might be broken off. It looks like it might not be being made any more ("discontinued"), but I say it needs one. What's going to happen without it when you hit an underwater stump or rock at 30 MPH? I guess you can paddle back and retrieve the lower unit from the deep.

MN30hp

Cadet
The front stud might be broken off. It looks like it might not be being made any more ("discontinued"), but I say it needs one. What's going to happen without it when you hit an underwater stump or rock at 30 MPH? I guess you can paddle back and retrieve the lower unit from the deep.
Doesn't appear to be broken off at first look but there is debris that needs to be removed first. Any clue the length of stud needed? Local hardware store should have what I need.

tphoyt

Ensign
Looks like it’s broken off to me as well.
after you drop the lower unit you will be able to grab whats left if that stud to get it out. Then match it up with a new one that is as long as that plus the nut that goes on it.

tphoyt

Ensign
That was supposed to say nut and lock washer that goes on it.
Also if it is broken off it’s likely going to be a bear to get out. Give it a good soak with penetrating oil.
A you may need a bit of heat around it as well.

MN30hp

Cadet
Cleaned out the hole, it goes in almost an inch, it doesn't appear to have anything broken off inside. Threads are quite corroded so it's soaking now but will need to be tapped out. Looks like the bushing is sheared off. Probably be a pain to get out, hmm.20210921_082538.jpg

tphoyt

Ensign
Well if that’s the case your half way there.
I would chase the threads if they are still there. If not you will have to drill it out a bit and tap in new threads for a new stud.

MN30hp

Cadet
Well I got everything together and went to tighten the stud and it stripped out. There was only threads on half the hole but I was hopeful anyway. I will probably take it apart and tap it out larger and get a larger stud/nut combo. When I was doing the water pump I noticed the old impeller had a key that was needle like, much different than the half moon one I installed with the new kit. Is this normal?20211006_195656.jpg

jasper60103

Commander
Well I got everything together and went to tighten the stud and it stripped out. There was only threads on half the hole but I was hopeful anyway. I will probably take it apart and tap it out larger and get a larger stud/nut combo. When I was doing the water pump I noticed the old impeller had a key that was needle like, much different than the half moon one I installed with the new kit. Is this normal?View attachment 351016
Yes. The newer kits have the new style plastic key. Works just fine. No problem.

MN30hp

Cadet
Yes. The newer kits have the new style plastic key. Works just fine. No problem.
Excellent, thanks!

When seating the lower unit against the exhaust housing, should I be able to seat them together relatively easily? I got it part way, attached the shift linkage, then struggled to seat it the rest of the way. It got to about a half inch and wouldn't go anymore. Ok to use the bolts to finish the job?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do not use the bolts to pull it together.-----It should slide together.----Might help to turn flywheel a bit / prop / move shift lever.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might try moving the gearshift lever while pushing up the l.u. Don't force anything.

jasper60103

Commander
Excellent, thanks!

When seating the lower unit against the exhaust housing, should I be able to seat them together relatively easily? I got it part way, attached the shift linkage, then struggled to seat it the rest of the way. It got to about a half inch and wouldn't go anymore. Ok to use the bolts to finish the job?
Any update?

MN30hp

Cadet
Got everything together finally. Took it for a test drive and no water comes from the tell tale. It does blow air though. What could be going on? I'm hoping I installed it right since it is pushing air out?