1986 galaxy is it worth it??? UPDATE WITH MY NEW TRADE PICS INSIDE

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1986 galaxy with a cuddy cabin with a 2.5l mercruiser i/o. serial number for boat is 2726360. I do not know anything on boats but i do know some on cars, fiberglassing, electrical, bondo, sanding, and wood work. I bought it for $300 and the original owner stated all it needed was a head gasket. Well I tore it apart and found water in the cylinders which caused the pistons to seize. I tore it all apart and cleaned the cylinders and pistons and removed the rusted rings. Some internal parts of the motor are rusted such as the hole where the water pump is, the exhaust tube.
I also recently found today that the starter may be seized, and the boat may need rewired. There are 4 wires that go to the outside drive that are so corroded they crumble in my fingers. How hard would it be to replace those 4 wires?

Also how much do you think i would be looking at to fix this boat up money and time wise. If it seems to much work what do you think it is worth as it is right now with trailer included and 2 nice tubes (1 person tube, and a 2 person tube) I really want a boat do you think i could get a trade for a perhaps smaller boat? I love the water and have always wanted to be on it. Honest opinions please and thank you. btw YES IT DOES FLOAT.

boatmotor005.jpg

boatmotor004.jpg

boatmotor003.jpg

boatmotor002.jpg

boatmotor001.jpg

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 galaxy is it worth it? TRADED FOR NEW BOAT PICS

Re: 1986 galaxy is it worth it? TRADED FOR NEW BOAT PICS

More pictures

boatmotor006.jpg

boatmotor008.jpg

THIS IS THE PICTURE WITH THE 4 BAD WIRES

boatmotor010.jpg

boatmotor011.jpg

boatmotor013.jpg

boatmotor012.jpg

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 galaxy is it worth it??? TONS of PICS inside

I put my blackberry cobbler on there being not being much solid wood in that boat.

BUT, its got a merc drive and everything can be rebuilt...

Utahboatnut

$300.00 to buy but probably another $3,000 to get even close to the water. That poor thing has been rode hard and put away wet literally. I would guess new deck and stringers at a minimum and the transom could be a goner as well. Engine is toast and judging by the rest of it the drive may need a bit of work as well, maybe not but the prop, trim tab, lower bolts on the transom plate look like it has been worked over. Drain the gear lube and inspect its condition, then pull the drive and see how some of the internals look, U joints, gimble, drive shaft splines, etc. If the drive is good you may be abel to find an engine for not too much $$ but for sure check the condition of the stringers, motor mounts, transom, deck, foam. The wireing will be pretty involved as well, schematics can be had easily enough but it will be an expensive time consuming project. You may be abel to part it out and take the proceeds to use towards a boat that is alot closer to water ready.. good luck.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

lol !!! he was right, it needed a head gasket. But the seller also needed a head gasket.

is it worth it? thats only something your wallet can answer. but let your wallet know its gonna cost a lot* just to get it running. and then add A LOT* MORE to make it look nice...

*a lot, is a determined figure by subtracting everything from your income.

BigBoatinOkie

I think you could find something at least a little better off than that one if you have a little patience. Maybe one with a powerplant that's in a little better shape. That being said, take lots of pics when you tear into her. :D

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

As mentioned before, it all depends on how much you want to put in it, both time and money. IF you want to invest time and money, you will have a beautiful boat that you can be proud of, and you can design it how you wish. However, if you are looking for a quick way onto the water-part the outdrive and motor out, sell the trailer, and give the boat away, or take it to a friends farm and tell them they can put it on thir pond:D
With what you will put into it, you can find a nice runabout on craigslist tomorrow, ready to go.

Hope this helps you out.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah...I'd say the question is - do you love this boat specifically? If you do then it's probably worth whatever its gonna take. Providing that you do have time and $$$ to put into it.

If not - yeah part it out or something and keep looking on craigslist ect. Ive done plenty of that lately cuz my folks have ben looking for a runabout. There's a decent amount of boats available for under $2k that at least have a decent motor/outdrive/outboard. They may need decking or upholstery but by looking at yours I'd say your gonna be replacing everything but the hull pretty much.

But hey - if you love the boat and would like to make her better than new - you've got a boat load of guyz just waiting to point you in the right direction! Either way - good luck! We'll be here to help if you need us!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

$300 is a decent price for a trailer and that's about all you got there.

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

I traded for a 80's beretta with good interior and good engine but needs lower unit by the propeller rebuilt. how much will that cost and did i make a good trade?

Attachments

• boat2[1].jpg
    boat2[1].jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3[1].jpg
    boat3[1].jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4[1].jpg
    boat4[1].jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat[1].jpg
    boat[1].jpg