1986 Force 50hp idles high in neutral...any ideas?

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Hello again Iboaters.... It's been a while since I've worked on my boat or got on the forum. I pulled her out yesterday for first time since last season. Got her running again, ran just like it did last year. It will start right up no problem, but if I rev the engine at all it stays idled up to high. Not like it's screaming, but to high to throw it in gear. Ive manually "returned" the throttle on carb and it doesnt change. I get it to idle down by choking a little too drop rpm. When in gear, it seems ok...but in neutral it's high. I have changed the points and condensors last year Idk if that has anything to do with it... Any ideas what could cause this? I'm really confused!? I'm gonna order a carb rebuild kit because the float bowl gasket leaks a little. All I can figure is the base gasket maybe leaking & letting air in...? It looks ok, but that don't mean much usually. I appreciate any help, as I'd like to have her in the water next week.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Nothing guys? Im tryin to work on it tonight in my garage lol

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Nothing guys? Im tryin to work on it tonight in my garage lol

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I checke the air idle screw...(that I didnt even know was there) It was only 1/2 turn from being "bottomed out". If I remember correctly, shouldn't it be more like 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 turn from "bottomed out" position?

Last edited:

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
That sounds correct mate, you have it running to lean @ 1/2 turn. Adjust to around 1 1/4 from lightly seated. You may have to adjust your idle after adjusting your air/fuel. I am a bit confused though, was it running good last season at that setting :p. Sounds like someone has been playing to me LOL.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Haha no I havent messed with the idle screw I honestly didnt know it was there. Until yesterday... But I'm guessing the p.o had no idea how to adjust it properly. I'm hoping this is the whole high idle problem I've been trying to figure out. #EMBARRASSING LOL I'm gonna throw the carb back on it today, with it adjusted properly n see how she runs. Hopefully it idles lower like it should, and stays running lol N if so, all I got left is a gasket set to put on order for the leaking float bowl.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I adjusted fuel air screw to 1 1/4 turns out from seated. It still seems to idle high. But I think it's better. If I rev it from the carb itself, it idles high for a min then drops back down. However, if I put it in gear and throttle it up, it drops tight down like normal. Do you think this is all normal?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you rev it with the carbie you will have no advance, so yes probably normal.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, cool. I have the gaskets on order so should have them Wednesday. So hopefully ill finally be taking her out this week! Anyone know what spark plugs I should have in this engine? I don't think it has the proper ones in it now...just wanna be sure

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Bump... After researching trying to find the righ plug, ive found like 3 different part numbers people are using. Any ideas what the RIGHT spark plugs are for this engine?

Nordin

Commander
If you have regular ignitionsystem such as magneto or battery with points you svall use plugs with electrod NOT surface gap. Depending on brand I would suggest Champion J4 or NGK B6HS, B7HS. If you have electronic ign.system MagnaPower then surface gap typ. NGK BUX or BUXHW, Champion L20. Different brands has equal plugs, compare from one brand to another.