1986 Evinrude 70 vro

Oathkeeper

Cadet
Hello, I'm looking for some assistance with my 1986 70hp vro motor, I'm trying to locate the thermostat so I can see if it's possible to attach a sender and also locate the proper place to attach wiring for a tachometer. I managed to download the manual but I suspect my motor has been modified in some way so I can't easily locate these parts. I'm hoping someone has some experience in locating these parts. Please let me know if more information or pictures are required.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The tach wire is in the controller and a cheap adaptor make hooking it up easy. Or you need to get the signal from the gray wire off of the regulator.

Oathkeeper

Cadet
If I post pictures of the motor would you guys be able to point out exactly where I should be looking?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a cover above the top sparkplug ?---4 screws hold it on.-----That would be where you find the thermostat !!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put up a pic of the controller. Under the key is a 3 prong outlet. There is a harness for the tach that plugs in there.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And are you 100% sure that this is a 1986 model ??------Carefull taking bolts out on this salt water goodie.

Oathkeeper

Cadet
Not 100% sure, that's what I was told it was. I did try and locate some model/serial numbers on the motor but they all seem to be faded. Ill more than likely end up just having a real mechanic attach the gauges if my tinkering risks breaking everything.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your motor is an 85 or older block. I would guess it is an 84/85 model by the color and it has T/N/T.
​​​​​​You have the 49 cid block, An 86 model would have a 56 cid block. Your thermostat and poppet valves are under the water jacket cover. Good luck getting it apart. I would check compression and spark before I did anything. I would also try salt away in a tub before I tried to pull those bolts. I would also check those spark.plug wires as they look like automotive wires.

Oathkeeper

Cadet
Now about the VRO is it attached, I do see some oil in here, the seller didn't mention me having to premix.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no VRO on this motor !!-----You have to mix at 50:1 ratio.------I am not sure I would spend any money on this thing.-----Looks like someone already replaced a lot of parts already.------Post picture of the cowling if original..

Last edited: