1986 Chrysler 125 hp Force

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice
Motor runs fine but after about 10 minutes or so, it will only go at a trolling speed--then is coughs and sputters, wont accelerate and then cuts off. After that it will clear out and run fine. Thought it was bad gas but it keeps happening, checked plugs-appear to be fine, carbs are brand new--i'm sure they are fine but not sure on the adjustment, been messing around with that and it seems to help, but not for long. Has anyone had this problem? please help if you can Thanks

tjello327

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1986 Chrysler 125 hp Force

Might be ignition problem. Just guessing but I would check the stator.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

I dont seem to be having a problem with ignition--just accelerating. Its like it is flooding itself. Its funny because we were just out trolling this morning for 4 hours and it never missed a beat. Then when we started to come in and accelerate it felt forced...it didnt want to go, it kept bogging down. As soon as i let off the acceleration and put it down to trolling speed it was ok for a little bit, but then it was progressively worse to where it wouldnt turn over at all. Then... it started and we went slow for a while and got it back to dock. Sat for a while tied up and it suddenly ran fine, took it out for a test run and it ran beautifully!! Came back to get my wife and headed back down the ICW and it started the same thing! What could be causing this? Carb adjustment? bad gas? fuel pump? Just installed a new fuel filter and primer pump.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the fuel system.Rebuild the fuel pump.Then replace all the hoses and filters.Squeezie too.Check for water.Clean the carbs.
The air screws:In to the bottom(gently)then out 1 and 1/16 turn.
Then just for GP do a comp/spark test.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking the fuel system too. I have just changed the fuel filter, fuel lines and the inline primer pump ( if that is the sqeezie you are talking about ;) ) And the carbs are brand new--so I guess the air screws are what I need to deal with now. Checked the spark--all good there. Guess I could do a comp test. Question--is the fuel pump the cylindrical shaped thing with the tiny tubes attached to it? I am pretty sure I know what it is but this little motor is quite a bit smaller than the diesel engines I look at everyday!!! I dont want to get down on this motor but I just sold my 1996 Evinrude 25 and I am starting to wish I hadn't--this old girl is VERY tempermental!!

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Chrysler 125 hp Force UPDATE

Re: 1986 Chrysler 125 hp Force UPDATE

Ok, so update today-- got the fuel pump rebuilt, replaced all hoses and filters-squeezie too. Checking for water is a question because I dont know where to check... in the tank, filter, or fuel? Carbs have been cleaned and doing a comp/spark test right now.