1986 Beachcraft 170

Beachcrafter

Cadet
Getting back into boating. After a career of marine engineering, and owning about 8 or 9 boats in 50 years, this little puddle jumper will be the smallest one yet. My first Beachcraft so anyone out there with info is welcome to chime in.
Thanks!

Beachcrafter

Cadet
Getting back into boating. After a career of marine engineering, and owning about 8 or 9 boats in 50 years, this little puddle jumper will be the smallest one yet. My first Beachcraft so anyone out there with info is welcome to chime in.
Thanks!
What does the letter "M" stand for. The side od the hull says 170M

Beachcrafter

Cadet
Not a good side shot. It says "Beachcraft 170M". My searching seems to indicate the Reinell 170 is the same? I know Reinell bought out Beachcraft, with same I-4 3.0 engines.

Attachments

• Attach0(1).jpg
    Attach0(1).jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Attach0(3).jpg
    Attach0(3).jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Attach0(2).jpg
    Attach0(2).jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 4

airshot

Vice Admiral
Do a deep dive on those stringers and transom wood before getting involved in cosmetic issues.

Beachcrafter

Cadet
Do a deep dive on those stringers and transom wood before getting involved in cosmetic issues.
I am going to do a tap test on the outer hull and check for loose bolts/screws that screw into the inner deck. What else?

briangcc

Commander
Gotta drill as tap test won't tell ya bupkiss. 1/4" drill bit, down low. Shavings come out wet, you know you have issues. Shavings come out dry, 4200 sealant and call it a day.

The M is just a model designation. If you look at my sig, all the modern boats had some sort of designation LE, LS, SE... Just marketing for the most part.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Gotta drill as tap test won't tell ya bupkiss. 1/4" drill bit, down low. Shavings come out wet, you know you have issues. Shavings come out dry, 4200 sealant and call it a day
On the INSIDE of the transom

airshot

Vice Admiral
Same for the stringers inside, if you cant acess the wood directly then drill some small holes to check, easy to fill if wood is solid. All these tap and thump tests are useless !!

Beachcrafter

Cadet
Gotta drill as tap test won't tell ya bupkiss. 1/4" drill bit, down low. Shavings come out wet, you know you have issues. Shavings come out dry, 4200 sealant and call it a day.

The M is just a model designation. If you look at my sig, all the modern boats had some sort of designation LE, LS, SE... Just marketing for the most part.
On the INSIDE of the transom

Thanks. I will tell the seller the test is 4 his knowledge, too.
Thanks so much. I'll tell the seller