1986 70HP VRO pump testing

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I've got a 1986 70hp with the VRO system. The alarm is sounding that indicates it has no oil, but the tank is full. I drove it for a while and it wouldn't do it for me (about an hour of driving). My friend took it out the other night and sure enough he got the oil alarm again as well as the overheating alarm. He said the boat wouldn't plane out like usual and he smelled a 'burning' smell.

How can I test the VRO pump and be CERTAIN that it's functioning?

Regards,

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The complete test procedure is in the OMC Factory Service Manual. But, before you run it any more mix up some 50:1 fuel mix and use that while testing.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I too would suggest a manual. The one for my 1987 50hp has 7 pages covering just the VRO system and serving it.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
I have recently suffered those same symptoms. I have several "clammer" friends and old school mechanic friends. The thing that I have found in common with them, is not one trusts that VRO system. To have a $1.00 rubber piece fail, and wipe out a 2-3K motor was un acceptable to all of them. They capped off the oil inlet of the pump, and disabled the oil alarm circuit. They all use a 50:1 oil mix. Soooooo.... after modding mine, never an issue again.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That's a great way to do it! Though I just purchased a VRO engine that had it disabled. It will soon be running as original again.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Before wasting any more time looking at the VRO system, with the loss of power and overheat condition described, you need a compression test.

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Compression yielded good results 120, 130, 120. I've been looking through the manual and haven't found any testing procedure for the VRO system.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Any further operation of engine needs to be done with 50:1 premix.

As far as the alarm that you are getting...

How many wires are coming out of the VRO?

What alarm are you getting? A solid tone=overheat. A rapid beep = no oil. This can occur even if the oil resevoir is full. It is "sensing" that there isn't oil at the pump. A beep every ten or twenty seconds or so is a low oil condition that is sent from the oil reservoir.

Either way, we need to fix the over heat first. Try running on the premix and see if the overheat condition is gone. While doing this look for water coming out of the exhaust ports on the upper midsection. If no water go after the pump and impeller first and then you can decide wether your going to bother with the VRO or just get rid of that system.

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Three wires coming from the VRO pump (black, grey & white).

I have yet to hear the alarm as every time I've had it out it's run fine (by myself) though the owner had the issue again after I ran it for about 45 minutes on open water with no issues. He had himself and 3-4 other people on board at the time, also he mentioned it happens when they tube behind the boat. So when there's a significant extra load on the engine.

I'm not having any issue with overheating, even while just on a set of muffs and a hose. So I don't think that's an issue at this point.

He mentioned that this time it was a rapid beep.

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
I got a new pump, but I'm unsure to put it on yet because some of the hoses are old and fairly dried out. With some of the tight bends in these hoses, are there molded hoses available or should I just put on new hoses and do my best & hope they don't kink?

Regards,

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
I got a new pump, but I'm unsure to put it on yet because some of the hoses are old and fairly dried out. With some of the tight bends in these hoses, are there molded hoses available or should I just put on new hoses and do my best & hope they don't kink?

Regards,

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
You will have to check the BRP site and check to see if those are molded hoses. At least that way you will also get the part numbers for whichever hose is used. There more than likely is more than one size hose also. The dealers buy hose by the spool and sell it by the foot also and it's really not that expensive.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In all honesty I would ditch the VRO I model on an engine that old and just premix. The VRO II was not as bad but still not perfect.