1986 40hp Johnson buzzer on with water running

Re: 1986 40hp Johnson buzzer on with water running

replace the impeller anways....my engine sat for two years also, and the impeller in it looked like it had just came off of the assembly line...I put a new impeller in anyways, and it fixed the overheating problem and circulates about 3 times more water than the old one...looks can be deceiving.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

Today I took all the parts to a dealer and asked what I needed. Got a water pump kit ( the housing was bad) thermostat, and head gasket> I scraped out all the salt I could. Hope this works.

I know it's difficult to do this over the net. So thanks for the advice.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

Another question came up. To get at the plate with the peer on it, the cowling has to come off. There are 4 bolts on rubber insulators inside the cowling. There still doesn't seem to be anyway to get it off far enough to take the bolts out.

Is there something I'm missing? If I have to, I will drill holes in the side of the cowling and put grommets in to keep the water out. Thanks.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

I hope you aren't getting tired of me because I can't get the shift rod hooked up. I bolted the lower unit on thinking I could slide the pin in by moving the shift lever. but it doesn't work. The prop seems to be in gear both forward and in reverse.

So do I need to take the unit off, move the shift rod to forward gear,put the shift lever in forward and slide the pin in? Thanks.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

Things just got a lot easier. I can see how it works. Either the cotter key can come out or the front bolt can come loose and the pin will slide on the rod. A mechanic said it is supposed to be pointed but it is flat. Will it still lock up OK?

And should the shift rod hole face as far forward as possible? It went up on a slant the first time so the pin wouldn't go in.

I guess all the advice didn't go to waste. Took ahile though.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

I thought you all would like to know I got it back together and the buzzer hasn't come on so far. Thank you all, I learned a lot.