1985 Yamaha V6 Special 220 hp alarm sounding

ShinobiTTZ06

Cadet
I was running the boat today out on a lake, was really smooth. The new Powertech 4 blade 14.25" 23P really get the boat out of the water fast. However at full tilt down, the highest RPM is 4500rpms, which is the beginning of the RPM range. When I trim the motors up, the rpms climb to 5500 rpms and my GPS confirmed speed is 62 mph (26' Nordic Boat), but it does feel a little less stable with the motors trimmed up and going that speed.

After going back and forth across the lake where the water was smooth (about 20 minutes) at full throttle, motors trimmed (62mph). My left motor sounds an alarm, I quickly backed off the throttles and turned the key off. I went to a sandy area to beach the boat and popped off the cowling to check the 2-stroke motor tank, and it was full like it should be. So I know it is pumping up correctly and maintaining the oil level.

I put the cowl back on and turn the key and no alarm. I then started the motor and it fired up fine. I went back out onto the water and cruised around about 45-50mph, then decided to go full throttle and trim the motors up to get the rpms up to 5500 rpms, running at 62mph again. Ran for another 20-30 mins and got the alarm again.

Seems like after it sits awhile the alarm will go off. Is there an engine temp sensor that can cause the alarm? Seems like after it sits a bit the alarm goes away. I should note that when I first got out on the lake the motor was running a little strange with the RPMs only going to about 3K then cutting in and out, at first I was suspecting some water in the gas or something but after running awhile it never did that again. Also water was always streaming out of the pea hole, so the water pump was working good too.

Just have to figure out what the alarm is, if it's not related to the oil system. All of the lights were illuminated on the gauge when I turned the key on, but then they would go out and only the green light (normal) would be on, but the alarm was still sounding.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
On my old 2 stroke the alarm would sound with either a low oil or hi temp problem.

ShinobiTTZ06

Cadet
On my old 2 stroke the alarm would sound with either a low oil or hi temp problem.
I guess it could have got hot, as the oil was full. I wonder if the tilt sensor could cause anything? Maybe I will replaced the or check out the temp sensor.
Thanks!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I guess it could have got hot, as the oil was full. I wonder if the tilt sensor could cause anything? Maybe I will replaced the or check out the temp sensor.
Thanks!
Maybe you were tilting it to high and ventilating the prop. Usually you can hear that if you do it.