1985 Wellcraft sending unit/gas tank question

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
I have been restoring this boat for over a year now. All fuel lines and sending unit have been replaced. This boat is a 19ft bowrider....so 2 access caps are my access to my gas tank. Recently had transom and deck done by boat shop....they installed the original tank w new sender and all of my new hoses........I am still working on many other items prior to putting the carpet down.....I have noticed a very strong odor coming from my access caps....I have been leaving them off so the new fiberglass odors can vent.....The access cap over the fuel filler smells normal, the access cap that houses the sender and the vent smells like straight gas. while I had the tank out of the boat I tested it for leaks...so good to go there....my concern is that the new sender just isnt sealed very well. The new gasket is the hard black almost plastic feeling type.....I am wondering if I should add an inner tank soft gasket and maybe some type of sealer for the screw holes.......any suggestions will be appreciated.