1985 wellcraft 190 American gas tank,floor,engine, clean up questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a 1985 Wellcraft 190 American bowrider w 170hp 4cyl I/O.....with easy load trailer. Paid 2k hoping I got a good deal. The engine and outdrive were just overhauled...engine was started for me purred like a kitten. Previous owner says 15 hours on rebuilt engine....I popped deck caps and noticed a fiberglass gas tank...bummer.....I am assuming that tank has to be replaced because of ethanol issues...am I correct? If so...where do I start? Pull the seats, tear up the carpet, then what am I looking at? Can a regular guy tear out and replace decking? Do most Wellcrafts of this age have soft floors or soaked stringers? Im hoping not. How much will this new gas tank cost me???? She has a lot of stress cracks in the gel coat...no big deal but anyway to repair? I noticed the engine had know fuel water seperator or fuel filter...where do I put this in-line piece...anywhere along the fuel line? What is the best type of carpet to use and where should I buy it from? Last question.....what is the best way to clean white vinyl seats that have staines on them?

Thanks for your help

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1985 wellcraft 190 American gas tank,floor,engine, clean up questions

pull the tank, cut floor if needed.
Get an alum or stainless tank off craigslist, re-plumb with new lines.
I paid $100 for almost new 55 gal alum.
Install water seperator where you can access it.
Inspect stringers.
After 20 yrs don't be shocked if they are rotted and the transom too.
Its typical.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your reply. The floor is solid.....the tank is only accessible by cutting deck open.....I can only hope the belly of the beast isnt rotten.....what are my odds????
What area do you search on Craigslist for gas tanks?

Thanks

stacymd

Cadet

Hi,

I own a 1985 Wellcraft 190 Cuddy. I replaced the floor and lounge seats 2 summers ago. The floor was completely rotted. However, the stringers were in excellent shape. When the boat is manufactured, the stringers are coated with fibreglass resin and fibreglass cloth. Very strong and water resistant. Due to its age, I did not waste money on marine plywood. I used 3/4" pressure treated. I used resin on top/bottom and exposed edges. The transom is also very solid. The american is a very solid boat and the transom is thick and fibreglass coated as well. Hopefully it is solid.

JPV,

Don't assume you have to replace the gas tank just because it is fiberglass. Some fiberglass tanks hold up okay against ethanol. It depends on what type of resin was used during construction. You might want to contact Wellcraft and ask them about the tank and whether or not it is an issue with the ethanol. Doesn't hurt to ask before jumping into all that work.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your reply. The floor is solid.....the tank is only accessible by cutting deck open.....I can only hope the belly of the beast isnt rotten.....what are my odds????
What area do you search on Craigslist for gas tanks?

Thanks

It's pretty low, if the carpet is damaged from water you can bet the floors are too. It is pretty much standard for 20+ year old boats to have rotten stringers and deck, unless the PO's took meticulous care of it. I usually look in the threads with low price, old glass boats by newer owners and the 95% of the time the procession goes like this, also known as the 10 stages of restoration denial.

1. That soft spot just needs a patch
2. The foam will dry out
3. It's just the deck, the stringers are fine
4. I don't have to pull the engine; I can work around it
5. The transom feels solid
6. I won't have to remove the cap, plenty of room
7. I will just buy a couple of gallons of resin
8. $1,000 is plenty for a job like this
9. I should be on the water by the end of the month
10. I need a beer! Nothing is going as planned!

Look harder. I think after you pull up the carpet and unscrew a few bolts that are going through the deck, you will be better able to tell if you have black rotted wood under there.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you have a poly tank. May have fatigued but if it's not leaking it should be OK.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhm this post is over a year and half old, I think he's probably already found a solution!!!:redface:

Status
Not open for further replies.