1985 Sea ray Seville - rotten wires

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
So, i got this boat and it have 2 sets of rotten wires:

1. this wire that i am showing with my finger is rotten and i cant see where is the other end. Does anyone know where this needs to be plugged in? How important is that? My motor starts with no problem.
DSCN0600.jpg
DSCN0601.jpg

This is view from behind where you can see rotten ends. It seams like its been like that for a long time.
DSCN0602.jpg

2. This set goes from hydraulic to the lower unit. Wires are rotten and there is no connection. My trim works (up & down). Can anyone tell me what are this wires for.
DSCN0604.jpg
DSCN0605.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 1985 Sea ray Seville - rotten wires

Those dirty rotten wires . . . Knowing your engine type would be helpful. . . Sort of looks like a mercruiser, but more specifics would help. You need the wiring diagram from the engine manual.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry!!! :) Its mercruiser 140
DSCN0536.jpg
DSCN0538.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Yer 1st 3 pictures are showin' rotten Ground wires....

Yer last 2 pics are of the trim Limit circuit....

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

I'm new to boats so if you can please explain where do I need to connect GROUND wires? Its easy on the car...:)
And, what is a trim limit circuit? Function?
Thank you for your time!

tpenfield

Staff member

Ground wires are the negative side of the electrical system. If not connected, the positive side has no where to go.

The trim limit switch prevents you from raising the outdrive too much . . . After that limit, you have to use the "trailer" switch to raise the outdrive further.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Actually, the ground wires (first picture) are probably good, and it's just the screw that is rusty. Take the screws out one at a time, clean or replace, clean the terminal ends, put some grease on them and you should be good to go.
The trim sender/limit switch wires (last picture) needs new senders and switch. To replace those, you need to post over in the Mercruiser forum for additional information. Here is the instructions for them.

View attachment Trim limit n switch install instructions.pdf

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

I understand what ground wire is, i'm just not sure where to connect them because there is no other end of those wires.
Thank you for explaining trim limit. So that is really not that important as long as i pay attention to how much i tilt the trim, right?
And yeah, those ground wires are broken off abo 2" from those screws witch shows on 3rd picture. Right now they are not connected anywhere.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

can anyone tell me what this part is? I'm thinking voltage regulator, but not sure.

2012-07-08 12.55.38.jpg2012-07-08 12.55.38.jpg

Thank you

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's the starter slave solenoid. The only voltage regulator you have is built into the alternator.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

thank you. i found out its a solenoid, but i didn't know that regulator is in the alternator. Thanks!