1985 Sea ray Seville project

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. Here is my project, 1985 Sea ray Seville, 140 Mercruiser. Got this boat as trade and it costed me $700 with the trailer, running engine and alfa 1 out-drive. Plan:
1. rip out nasty carpet and all junk out of the boat (1 all day of work)
2. cover the floor :) . I exchange gas tank cover and cover the whole floor with 1/2" plywood and home vinyl. I know, i know, this is not the right way to do it but i'm tired of working and not going out on it so i'm cutting corners for abo 1 year when i will go and do a whole floor the way shuld be done.
3. service the engine and outdrve
4. fix all panels (rotten wood)
5. wash all the seats, panels
6. redo all the wood on the boat
7. good luck to me! :)

DSCN0528.jpg2012-02-12 11.28.12.jpgDSCN0531.jpgDSCN0533.jpgDSCN0532.jpg

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 Sea ray Seville project

here is little more how that looked like
DSCN0534.jpgDSCN0535.jpgDSCN0538.jpgDSCN0539.jpgDSCN0540.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

2. cover the floor . I exchange gas tank cover and cover the whole floor with 1/2" plywood and home vinyl. I know, i know, this is not the right way to do it but i'm tired of working and not going out on it so i'm cutting corners for abo 1 year when i will go and do a whole floor the way shuld be done.

Ayuh,.... That's Alotta Weight, 'n you've got an itty bitty motor....

Ya really, Really oughta rethink that thought....

It'll be a Slug in the water....

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-o is spot on plus the safety factor. Im no pro, just a newb but as I've been told & after reading a number of threads rotten wood & saturated foam makes for an unsafe boat. You have plenty of time to strip it down & put fresh stuff in before the season begins. Your boat, your project but......

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My God those are tiny tires on that trailer...definitely not rated to carry the weight of that boat! I would not pull that boat on that trailer anywhere past your front yard until it has been thoroughly examined and repaired with the proper axles, brakes wheels and tires! Sheesh!

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My God those are tiny tires on that trailer...definitely not rated to carry the weight of that boat! I would not pull that boat on that trailer anywhere past your front yard until it has been thoroughly examined and repaired with the proper axles, brakes wheels and tires! Sheesh!

Just look at the rating numbers on the tires. They'll tell you the story by the numbers. Do they support more than 1/4 the weight of the boat and trailer for each tire? The thing has probably been on that trailer for 15 years or more, who knows?

I used a waterlogged and partly rotten (but still very strong) transomed boat for 4 fishing seasons in the Pacific Ocean before completely redoing it, but the transom was still very strong and had no stess cracks.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Search for GT1000000's Love, Pride & Necessity thread. He's @Miami, and has a great hookup on resin & glass to I think. It'd be well worth the 1.25-1.5hr trip to save 50% on delivered materials. He'd be helpful on the rebuild too.

1/2 now & doing it all over again in a year is more then kinda sketchy...

And money that won't be salvaged, it'll all still need to be done. Fl has been getting great resto weather, take advantage of it.

Spend some time reading through some threads. There are lots of good ones.

oops
friscoboater
woodonglass

all have links in their signature lines, so find any of their posts, & you can click the links & get to their threads. Read them and more

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

trailer is got to go for scrap metal. I wish you guys could see leaf-spring on it...........lol
2012-02-12 15.03.50.jpgDSCN0541.jpgDSCN0543.jpgDSCN0558.jpg
floor in the boat is still solid. Only soft spot is abo 2" from the edge of the hole where gas tank is. Thats why i don't want to do the floor now. Transom is solid.
While we are talking abo it, is there a templates how to cut stringers? That is the only thing that i am concerned and worried a little bit. Just a little bit. :)

Bondo

Staff member

While we are talking abo it, is there a templates how to cut stringers? That is the only thing that i am concerned and worried a little bit. Just a little bit.

Nope, but multiple measurements along a string-line will get ya Close...

jbcurt00

Staff member

The third pix you posted of the inside of the starboard stern box looks like it's seen a fair amount of water. Don't forget, that once water has access to a 'sealed' area, lack of oxygen doesn't prevent rot, & with no way to get out quickly, it will find a pinhole through the 'glass & resin and attack a separate area, that may or may not be particularly close to the original leak site.

I agree, from your pix, a lot, most even, of the deck & seat support boxes looks good, and is probably problem free.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a look at my thread and you'll see the only "soft spot" I had is right where you are talking. The pictures and video tell the tail of what really laid beneath my deck.

Good luck and just keep asking questions.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Funny thing about iboats is that you have so many experienced people reading this thread, you will get all the right advice, whether you asked for it or not.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

lol, (shellback89), when i ripped the carpet out i found duck tape "sealing" the gas thank. And it looks very alike like your project. I know i got to do this. Yes, iboat is excellent place. I know i'm in good hands.
I wish floor would be this easy.....:)
DSCN0593.jpgDSCN0594.jpgDSCN0595.jpgDSCN0618.jpg

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, (shellback89), when i ripped the carpet out i found duck tape "sealing" the gas thank. And it looks very alike like your project. I know i got to do this. Yes, iboat is excellent place. I know i'm in good hands.
I wish floor would be this easy.....:)
View attachment 136836View attachment 136837View attachment 136838View attachment 136847

Whats up with POs & duck tape? Do they think we won't find it once we tear into a deck? Well welcome brother to the iboats dry dock! There is 4 of us working on Sea Rays roughly the same years so we, along with the peeps who actually know something will get us through! I'm hoping for a memorial day splash!

Keep the pics & posts coming!

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whats up with POs & duck tape? Do they think we won't find it once we tear into a deck?

Actually, the REAL first owner (Sea Ray) put that duct tape there. No, it isn't any consolation, but a fact. They did it for over twenty years on everything from bow riders to cabin cruisers. Nothing new to veteran SR owners.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

here is more pics:
http://s1157.photobucket.com/albums/p583/sm1973/
I took out the plywood. for now not going to put side and wood panels or doors back. I want go out have little fun. Then in couple of months il redo all floor the way it should be done.
NO DUCK TAPE!!! Duck tape have image that can fix "everything". Maybe hold car together, maybe you can tow someone with it (i actualy have friend who was towed on motorcycle through florida with duck tape :) ), maybe you can fix plane and maybe it will hold house together, but that is it folks. And i hate the goo that leaves behind.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

When i decide to redo floor, what kind of plywood do i need to use? And i was thinking to cover gas tank solid with the floor, just leave opening where is gas pump. Is that smart idea? How often is there need to take the tank out?

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

So, i found this today and i guess there should be no water there , right? Do i have to dismount lower unit to change that?

DSCN0683.jpgDSCN0684.jpgDSCN0685.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... It looks like she's due for new bellows, 'n a new lower shift cable....

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

so i found this kit for $116. Is that ok price ?

SIE-18-2601-1_lg.jpg