1985 Mariner 150 Carb leak

robroy

Cadet
I noticed today, that on the bottom carb, left side the little niple that faces foward in front of the butterfly valve is just putting out fuel when ever there is pressure on the fuel system. Either with me squeezing the bulb, or running at an idle. Just above an idle the carb seems to be able to consume the excess fuel, but at an idle or when the engine is off. fuel just pours out. Is this a stuck or bad float/needle valve? How hard to fix?

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Mariner 150 Carb leak

it sounds like stuck float needle to me. they are fairly simple to replace. just buy the kit and it should be an easy job. i say "kits" because if you are doing one you might as well do all three.

robroy

Cadet

All three carbs were rebuilt by the local boat wrench about 4 months ago. I did stop by and pick up one new kit. I see it has two needles in it, that makes sense as to why only the left side of the lower carb was leaking. My book doesn't really show a good breakdown of the carbs, does anyone have a pic they could send me showing a detailed breakdown of these carbs?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Give that guy a call and ask if he warranties his work, for how long, he may be willing to make it right for you.

You never know unless you ask.

Be friendly and explain just as you have to us, that it looks like fuel is leaking out of the one bowl vent, what should you do since it hasn't been too long since he worked on your carbs.

robroy

Cadet

Already called them, looked on my receipt, saw the date of 4-Apr, and called, was told they only warrent the work for 90 days.:confused:

robroy

Cadet

With a little work, I managed to pull the bowl off the carb without having to remove the carb from the engine....good thing it was the bottom carb. Once in side I pulled the float, needle valve and needle valve seat. AHHHH-HAAAA,
about a 1/4" piece of gasket material sitting right under that seat. cleaned it all out, and put it back together. Only had to replace one small casket under the needle valve seat(tore when I went to put the seat back in) Got it all back to gether and the old motor cranked right up and best of all no leaks anywere.

j_martin

Admiral

With a little work, I managed to pull the bowl off the carb without having to remove the carb from the engine....good thing it was the bottom carb. Once in side I pulled the float, needle valve and needle valve seat. AHHHH-HAAAA,
about a 1/4" piece of gasket material sitting right under that seat. cleaned it all out, and put it back together. Only had to replace one small casket under the needle valve seat(tore when I went to put the seat back in) Got it all back to gether and the old motor cranked right up and best of all no leaks anywere.

Good work. Are you a surgeon or somethin'?

My father in law had a car that was starving intermittently, usually in the middle of an intersection. He'd had it to the dealer about 5 times with no relief, just bills. One day it was starving when he pulled into my yard. I checked it out and said "It needs a carb kit." He said, "They just put one in last week."

I had to agree to do the labor for free, eat the parts, eat crow, and take him out to lunch if I couldn't find the problem. When I tore down the carb under his watchfull eye, and got to removing the main jet, he said, "You don't need to do that. The other mechanic didn't." Well, guess what? Under that jet was a little curl of brass that had probably been there since the factory.

Morale of the story. As you found out, go with your own diagnosis.

My 02
John