1985 Johnson 40 Starter Squeel and no turn over

Bonstrosity

Seaman Apprentice
I took my boat out today and ran into a problem. It started up fine, after a while I ran into my problem when I shut the motor down and tried to start it back up.

I Hit the start button, the small sprocket bendix? moved up and half engaged the fly wheel and the starter made a terrible squealing sound. It would not start the engine, it sounded as if the starter was spinning but it didn't actually turn anything externally. The starter would then not retract the shaft until I spun the fly wheel and then it would suck back in.

Any suggestions? I have a brand new charged batter and all the connections were good.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 Johnson 40 Starter Squeel and turn over

Re: 1985 Johnson 40 Starter Squeel and turn over

Sounds like you need to lube up the shaft where the starter gear is, 3in1 oil should do it for lube. The squeal may also be from the starter itself, start with the shaft.

Bonstrosity

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 Johnson 40 Starter Squeel and no turn over

I tried some lube and it seemed to move better, what is happening now that I can get a closer look is that the starter spins but the small gear doesn't hook up, the shaft inside of it just spins and does not catch the gear. it also looks like I may be missing parts now that I look at other starters, there is just a threaded shaft above the gear, where can I get those parts to replace those?

Update, all parts found inside motor, now some locktite is in order.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 Johnson 40 Starter Squeel and no turn over

LOL Gidder Done as we say.