1985 glastream

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 glastream

well i hope these work,as soon as i get the hang of this photobucket and my oldest son can keep his patience with me i'll get better at it,hope this helps,ttyl

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hello Jack,
Welcome to the wild, wacky, wonderful world of Iboats.
You are definitely in the right place to get all of the information necessary to help you through whatever this project is going to demand of you.
First of all, let's get you started in the right direction.
You already got the picture's thing figured out, it gets easier with time, as does every thing we do in life.
Next, you are embarking on what could be one of the most trying, frustrating, money sucking, time consuming adventures of your entire life, but...
If you stick with it, you will be gratified beyond your wildest dreams when all of your Blood, sweat, tears, and money turn into a beautiful boat that gets splashed.
I am not saying this to try to discourage you, but to enlighten you.
I too, bought my first boat ever, earlier this year, have done a preliminary going over of it, gotten it in the water for a few enjoyable fishing trips, had the engine blow up and that is where I am at now, doing a complete restoration...
The "new car smell" for me has worn off when I realized what I was in for, but I know that when I am done, I am going to have a perfectly solid, safe, useable fishing platform for at least 20-30 years. Probably longer than I'll be around...:redface:
OK, now your next step is to determine if what you have is worth it to YOU, to fix up.
How you are going to determine this is by some serious reading in the restoration forum..."Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair".
In that section there is a wealth of information and knowledgeable guys who have "Been there and done that"...
In most of the opinions, you will find that the boat itself is the least valuable part of the package, the trailer value is somewhere in the middle, and the motor is what is usually considered the most valuable part of the rig.
That being said, there is no reason that while you are looking for a motor to hang on the back of that bad boy, you can't start gong through your hull and finding out where you stand.
One of the first things you need to do is determine the structural soundness of the hull.
There is only one way and it requires CAREFULLY drilling into the transom and the stringers.
Once you have that, that will tell you what direction you are headed in.
So far, I have only seen boats that are in desperate need of a complete re-string and transom job, unless the previous owner kept it in a climate controlled storage area for the boats entire life...not likely, and a 26 year old boat, that has been kept outdoors is probably more like the rule than the exception to it.
BUT, before you get yourself into trouble...
Start your own thread on the boat restoration forum, where the heavy hitters are, ask your questions, and you will succeed.

I have to get to work now, but I look forward to following along with your new found project. I will be here to cheer you on, give advice or instruction when I can, and generally wish you the best of luck.

Regards,
GT1M:D

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks,i think i got lucky on this one,i took it to a boat repair shop who is pretty reputable here(and i've seen his work)<he checked my boat,said transom was still pretty solid,no evidence of rot,rear deck is solid,minimal rot on lower deck around the drain or vent hole,and a weak spot on strbd side of front deck,and he said its a job that i can handle,so here we go,my biggest exspense,(minus getting a motor)was and is getting the proper tools and materials to do what i"ve done so far,im not rich and i feel like im a poor man in a rich mans game,but it hasnt slowed me down any<i think it'll be great,like you said once its all done and im out there fishin from my boat that I redone,it'll be great,thanks for your insight and good luck on your rebuild,look forward to seeing the finished work,hope you keep putting updated pics,i'll try to get better with this photobucket and put up pics of what i have done and will be doing,one more thing,when i got this boat,it had no motor,fuel cell or batteries,batteries,no brainer,but fuel cell,im not sure,what did yours have,thx,ttyl.
'

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Howdy Jack,

Just caught up with your post on the Glasstream forum about the fuel tank...

Mine came with a 18 gallon rectangular tank that was just floppin around when I first got it...I made some braces out of aluminum and strapped it down, so I could use the boat...as you know, since then I have started a complete resto...

Lately I have not gotten anything done due to lack of 'Benjamins'...just been doing a lot of reading and learning here on this forum...

Later on down the road I plan on installing my fuel tank in a much better fashion than the way I originally got it, but that is prolly quite a ways away...

Keep on planning your project and getting it ready...when the time comes for the full blown resto, we'll all be here to help you out...

And keep your eyes peeled for a donor boat that has the stuff you need for yours, you might be able to find one that the hull is toast, but the engine and fuel tank, etc., are totally reuseable...

Good news on the lack of rot, but be sure, 'cause if it has started somewhere, it could be everywhere...if you can, do some core samples from the stringers and transom down low. This is the only 100% sure way to know if there is rot.

Best Regards,
GT1M

PS- be sure to start a resto thread on the Boat Rebuilding and Restoration Forum when you are ready...

shortstayers123

Recruit

I have the 1986 glasstream 18 ft bass te edition. I run mine every chance i get. I have a 150 merc and she runs 66mph with a tournment load (livewells full and all my fishing gear) but just me onboard. If you have any questions I might be able to help you as I have had 2 Glasstream bass boats. The last one was a 176 angler (17.6 feet) with a merc 150 black max. 70mph boat with just me in it. If anyone has a wiring diagram for these boats please let me know. I would like to restore mine this year.

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i am restoring mine,its my 1st,starting from scratch,came with no motor,fuel cell,batteries,just a big mess,but i have come along way since i got mine in September,i think she'll be ready b4 summer,i am now trying to figure out the wiring,and the live wells,i am curious about 1 thing though,and since you've had 2 of them,well here goes,hope you can help.at the stern,on the bottom i have 4 hull drains,i know 1 is the main drain,2 are for the intakes for the live wells(i also have 2) and 1 is for the live well drain when i come back out of the water,correct so far,right?on the port side i assume that is a bilge outlet,and on the strbd side is another bilge outlet,right?well also on the strbd side about 5-6 inches below that one is another outlet,whats that for?hope you can help,thx

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

i am restoring mine,its my 1st,starting from scratch,came with no motor,fuel cell,batteries,just a big mess,but i have come along way since i got mine in September,i think she'll be ready b4 summer,i am now trying to figure out the wiring,and the live wells,i am curious about 1 thing though,and since you've had 2 of them,well here goes,hope you can help.at the stern,on the bottom i have 4 hull drains,i know 1 is the main drain,2 are for the intakes for the live wells(i also have 2) and 1 is for the live well drain when i come back out of the water,correct so far,right?on the port side i assume that is a bilge outlet,and on the strbd side is another bilge outlet,right?well also on the strbd side about 5-6 inches below that one is another outlet,whats that for?hope you can help,thx

It could be the overflow drain from the livewell...that's what mine were...I am going to be redoing all the plumbing and eliminating a bunch of thru-hull holes...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I have the 1986 glasstream 18 ft bass te edition. I run mine every chance i get. I have a 150 merc and she runs 66mph with a tournment load (livewells full and all my fishing gear) but just me onboard. If you have any questions I might be able to help you as I have had 2 Glasstream bass boats. The last one was a 176 angler (17.6 feet) with a merc 150 black max. 70mph boat with just me in it. If anyone has a wiring diagram for these boats please let me know. I would like to restore mine this year.

After everything I have read, there really is no such thing as a wiring diagram for most boats...since many of them were ordered with specific items, a lot of the wiring is sort of custom...

However wiring a boat is a fairly simple thing and you can get all the info you need by posting up any questions you may have on the electrical forum here on iboats...

And if you decide to restore it, Please, start a restoration thread in the Boat Building and Restoration Forum...

Lots of great help there...

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey GT!Benn awhile,looks like everything has come together for you,great job,im just now doing the wiring now and puttin her back together slowly but surely(as funds will allow).ill keep wathcin your progress,take care.