1985 Force 50hp - grate, cover questions

wheresbob

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
2
Great forum! I'm learning so much. Thanks!

1) Damaged water intake grate (not sure if this is what it's called); Can this be replaced?
ob_lower_unit_arrow.jpg

ob_intake_port.jpg


2) Motor cover; the foam has been pulled off and what's left is disintegrating. Should I refoam the cover? Can I reduce the engine noise by doing so?
cover_top.jpg

cover_under.jpg


Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1985 Force 50hp - grate, cover questions

I don't see the intake screen listed in the parts list.
The break is quite small, I would leave it alone.
Perhaps put a few drops of epoxy on it if there are additional cracks.


The foam can be replaced, it will help with the noise, somewhat.
 

wheresbob

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
2
Re: 1985 Force 50hp - grate, cover questions

Thanks Roscoe. I think I'll leave the screen alone. The starboard side is a bit worse, but I'm concerned epoxy might get sucked in. Would it do that even after it cured?

Thanks for your reply. jt
 

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
196
Re: 1985 Force 50hp - grate, cover questions

I disagree with the idea of leaving the foam in the cover. It never happened to me, but I've heard many on here talk about the foam disintegrating and getting sucked into the carb intake. If it is coming off anyway, I'd just go ahead and scrape it out. As far as the epoxy getting sucked in, it should be no problem if you prep the area and don't apply too much
 

RichH

Cadet
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
7
Re: 1985 Force 50hp - grate, cover questions

I have the exact same engine, and it just keeps running and running and running. An amazing little machine, that 1985 Force 50! Anyway, I replaced my foam for two reasons: 1) it will get sucked into carb intake as it rots away and 2) it greatly reduces engine noise...makes a big difference on noise.
Also, why not grab a piece of cheap stainless screening at a hardware store and epoxy it over the grate? Just epoxy the four edges, use Marine-Tex and the screen won't budge.
 

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
348
Re: 1985 Force 50hp - grate, cover questions

when i bought my motor the foam was all crumbled and getting sucked into the carbs.....i'd definetly remove it if its starting to crumble.....i still need to put new foam in mine though.
 
Top