1985 Evinrude 50 hp VRO

batman4279

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
11
Now I realize the engine I got is a VRO. I have only owned small 9.9's before so this is new to me. The guy I purchased it from told me to run it at 50:1, so I assume the VRO system is bypassed. Also when he ran it he only used a gas can. I was taking his word for it, because he is a mechanic. What should I look for to tell that it is bypassed?
 

batman4279

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
11
Re: 1985 Evinrude 50 hp VRO

Just as a note. Me being a novice and all, what I believe is the fuel pump in this motor is triangular shaped and has three hoses attached to it.
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: 1985 Evinrude 50 hp VRO

I think removed or disabled is a better term. Regardless, if the oil tank is gone and/or the oil hose is disconnected or gone its has been disabled.,
 

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 23, 2002
Messages
11,195
Re: 1985 Evinrude 50 hp VRO

Sounds like he put a standard fuel pump on it if it is triangular looking. As silver said, it's bypassed either way...Look like this one?

convert
 

batman4279

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
11
Re: 1985 Evinrude 50 hp VRO

That is exactly what it looks like if my memory serves me correctly.
 
Top