1985 Beachcraft Cuddy 24 ft Model No 240C w 1983 OMC 800, 5.7L V8. Rehab or Part-Out?

docben

Seaman
Just bought an old boat, mostly for parts, but wonder if doing a Rehab is worth the time and money? There are still parts for the engine and sterndrive, but the shift cable is bad and the exhaust manifolds are toast. Tearing down the sterndrive on these old 800 series OMC is real fun (LOL). The boat itself is pretty good shape so thinking of taking out the engine and doing a retrofit with 2 outboards. Am I just a little crazy to spend time and money on this old stuff? I can't find in any forum where another crazy person did something similar. Trying to load some pics to this. Any positive feedback welcome.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OMC went out of business many decades ago.

I can't find in any forum where another crazy person did something similar.
Plenty of people doing boat restorations.

most people avoid anything OMC

to properly convert an old OMC powered hull to outboards and get the boat in good condition will most likely cost you more than 5-10x what you could ever get for the boat when it comes time to sell. most people that have attempted outboard swaps on here usually abandon the project.

stringer, transom, deck repair alone on the boat will cost you $

the engine is just a small block chevrolet truck block and heads. so you can get parts for the base motor.

but the shift cable is bad and the exhaust manifolds are toast

depending on how bad the exhaust is, it may have taken out the motor. the motor itself if in good shape is worth more as a cleaned up longblock than it is as an OMC upfit motor. as a cleaned up longblock, it may be worth $250 as an omc motor with toasted manifolds. maybe a $100

exhaust manifolds are only available aftermarket.

the shift cable is $800-$1200 alone.

have you checked the ball gears? vertical 3-piece drive shaft?
both will need to be replaced. that is about 1600 in parts, not including seals, water pump, etc.

there are companies out there that specialize in the stringers.

If it was me, I wouldnt have bought anything OMC. they were obsolete back in 1985 (actually a left-over 1984 because the Cobra came out in 1985)

to part out or restore is totally up to you. if you absolutely love the boat. I would suggest removing everything OMC. redo the transom and get a Mercruiser or Volvo Penta longtail to replace it.

docben

Seaman
WHY ?? For the time, effort and money you could buy a nice boat ready to go.....
Oh really! Been looking at many every day and nothing comes close to what I spent already. Already sourced parts for this OMC and I had restored a similar one, but smaller engine size (185HP). Sure they are tricky in maintenance but once you rebuild one sterndrive, others are easier, and have the tools. The hardest part for me is getting my big frame down into the engine compartment. As long as parts can be found for the engine and sterndrive, no problem. So looks like I will keep the engine and sterndrive and rebuild them. Thanks for reading! Will post some pics later.

And for all those out there who, like Scott, don't like OMC, MOD EDIT. Soliciting not allowed

Last edited by a moderator: