1985 bayliner capri overhaul tons of pics to come

Lt Padgett

Cadet
Hi all and thanks for the warm welcome you have, all giving to me.
I have taking a few more picts of the boat, as i was removing the stringer,i found a 1\4 inch. hole just under the center stringer. boy im going to need all the help i can get
thanks to all SDC12033.jpgSDC12034.jpgSDC12035.jpgSDC12036.jpgSDC12037.jpg

GrandmasBoat

Cadet
Re: 1985 bayliner capri overhaul tons of picts to come

My mother has the EXACT same boat in MINT condition - except the Volvo engine is bad after being stored improperly for several seasons. Low hours otherwise. Needs a new gas tank too. Why not save yourself a lot of work and just buy hers for cheap - she's 76 and not interested in fixing it.:) Boat is near Ann Arbor, MI.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi all and thanks for the warm welcome you have, all giving to me.
boy im going to need all the help i can get
thanks to all

No worries man. There's a ton of help to be found here from people with varying levels of experience. Keep the pics and the information coming. I'm no master at all this, but I'm in the middle of my first restoration and I'm happy to share anything I've learned. :)

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Thanks
im going to need it, as of tonight i have cut the outer side out and started more grinding, for the new stringers.
Transom is out, no wonder it was taking on water.not sure if its factory or not but the stringers seem to be in 3 sections,,
back, middle, front. Not sure if thats the way it should be
Anyway thanks for the help

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Thanks for the offer, but how cheap is cheap.
im in North Carolina.
Thanks

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know what you mean. I'm learning a ton from all these guys. There's enough experience here from helpful folks to get you through your project. :)

I'm finding that stringers can be laid out in a number of ways. It would be worth contacting Bayliner to see if they have any drawings or plans or design docs or something of the sort they can get you that are specific to your boat. I have a VIP which is now owned by Caddo Boats. They are less than helpful but Bayliner may be different. I read a post earlier from another member who got the original wiring schematics from the factory just cus he asked. You may also search through the forums. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen a number of Bayliner restorations.

GrandmasBoat

Cadet

Thanks for the offer, but how cheap is cheap.
im in North Carolina.
Thanks

I would think distance would be the bigger issue unless you had already planned to drive to/from MI. I think we'll be posting it on eBay soon. Will advise.

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Hi all
Still cutting and gringing and cutting stringers
But i have a question
1 what type of resin should i use fot the stringers, and transom
2 can i go thicker on the stringers and transom
3 what type of foam should i use
4 will the foam from lowes work

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

1 what type of resin should i use fot the stringers, and transom
You have options here. Many people use polyester because it is easier to work with. It gives you the least amount of strength of the three main flavors of resin on the market but it's the easiest to work with. Epoxy is the strongest but is more difficult to work with. My personal choice for my stringers is vinyl ester resin. You can get it from US Composites. It out performs polyester resin but is easier to work with than epoxy. It's also not much more expensive than polyester. That's what I'm going with for the stringers.

2 can i go thicker on the stringers and transom
Much of this will depend on the type of glass you use. Different types of glass absorb different amounts of resin. 1708 biaxial glass seems to be the most popular choice to glass your stringers, and probably the transom too. Many people will use two layers of 1708. That gives you a great deal of strength, but adds quite a bit of weight per layer too. In my case, I have a small, narrow boat and weight is important. I plan to use a layer of 1708 and then top it with some CSM. The CSM won't offer as much strength but will absorb a bit more resin without adding nearly as much weight. So there's a balance to be found in the weight, strength, and cost. There are different ways of doing it. Just remember this is the bulk of the structural integrity of the boat so go as thick and strong as you can without adding too much weight.

3 what type of foam should i use
Again, there are options. Many will use the pour in foam. I've seen people use pool noodles. Personally I think I may go the noodle route. The rounded shape means there will be naturally formed channels for drainage. I plan to combine that with foam under the gunwales from Lowes or Home Depot.

4 will the foam from lowes work
Yeah. Lots of guys do that. Do some looking into open and closed cell foam. Open cell foam will absorb water whereas closed cell foam will repel it. Just be sure you know what you are getting so whatever foam you use won't take on water.

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Hey all sorry for the delay, been working out of town, anyway
Started back on the boat today, still gringing to floor and stringers out,man, i wish i had just got a new boat.
Cut the wood for the transom to day. Found a west marine close by well about an hour away, i picked up a long hair premixed putty for flarring stringers out. Great i think,,however not sure if it will replace the p-butter or not running some test to see,
Will get some pic's out in the am

Hope everyone is ok from the hurricane, that is if your on the east coast

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Heard NC got bashed, HARD! SOunds liek your resto is on the way... something for resin -- gelcoat won't stick to epoxy. epoxy will stick to poly but not the other way around... if you look at friscoboater's build, he used exclusively poly... as did I for my re-decking and other stuff... I was also limited by price...

I used lowes/HD clsoed cell foam. worked great.. comes in big sheets... pink or blue. keep it away from resin and acetone, they eat through it...

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Hi all thanks for all the info sofar
but, still gringing on the boat, went to far a few times, down to ge-coat. More holes to fix.
anyway just a few questions
1 why do i need to hold the stringers a 1/4" off the bottom of the boat.
2 bayliner has a two part stringer top is a 3/4 x 6"
The 2nd one is a 3/4 x3/4"
3 west coast sales a filler for stringers its called marine structural filler long strand fiberglass reinforced filler
4 on my 1985 bayliner capri has a volvo penta Why are there no motor mounts looks like all the weight is supported by the transom
thanks

Lt Padgett

Cadet

:facepalm:
Hi all sorry for the delay having a problem getting pic posted
anyway still grinding on the boat,, a few small problems, had to cut some of the hull out, Why you ask, well as i was grinding fiberglass i noted thwt water was running out of the bottom of the hull, i found 3/4 x1" rotted board i guess thats what is was, now its a gue old mud dead fish... cut it out
any help
Still cleaning up storm junk

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....im getting a wee bit confused here....

to post pics.....upload to photo bucket.....the re size to 640x 420 something or other.... then copy the img tag and paste it into your post...like this

randomsummerpicsandfire032.jpg

the last post kinda threw me...

ok....when you grind a hull....you are only scuffing the area so it will take new fiber glass....if you are not glassing that area.,...dont grind it
if you ground thru to the gellcoat.....that is a hole in the boat.....alternate 6 layers of csm and 1708 over the hole.
i need pics of the stringer set up.....my b liner didnt have that kind of set up.

btw....the foam you get in a can at lowes or other hardware store will not work. use the proper stuff....its cheaper.....2 part pour in foam.

your stringers should be a foam or wood core that has chopped fiberglass over them. the boat has a belly tank....so there is a different stringer height where the gas tank fits...there is a plywood cover over the tank...then the regular deck goes over that.....thats why the mismatched height.
as for the rotted wood in the hull....that must be in the bilge.....get rid of it.

as far as what type of resin....standard unwaxed poly is just fine.....it is what your boat is made of and it is far stronger than you will ever need...properly fiberglassed polyester can be stronger than steel
the cloth of choice is 1708 bi axle..and 1.5 oz csm.....i also use a 6 oz woven finishing veil for the deck.
you and mix up your own fiberglass filler with resin and cabosil and milled fibers.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

4 on my 1985 bayliner capri has a volvo penta Why are there no motor mounts looks like all the weight is supported by the transom

You're probably sportin a AQ125... they are cantilevered, hung on the transom. You can get front mounts for them, but, not needed.

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Thanks oops
will get the pics up in the am
I have ordered the foam from us com.
And yes i have been way over grinding, i was miss lead by my local boat shop,
i was told every thing had to be ground to a level state, bare hull no humps,
To find uot the local shop was pissed about me doing the work myself, and getting info from iboats.
claimed i was tacking money from his pocket,
Sorry but i may have went to far on the boat, Please look at the pic i will get up in the am Sunday
And let me know what you think

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I dont know why he is ticked. Small boat often cost more to fix than they are worth so they are junked or rebuilt by a person such as yourself. 30 and up boats are where most marinas make their cash here. Pleasure craft are just icing on the cake.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

any shop owner that is ticked because you want to fix your own boat and actually says you are taking money out of his pocket.... has serious issues....and i would not take my boat to him.

check around.....there has to be a fiberglass shop somewhere in your area......i live in a smaller city.....and there are at least 3 main fiberglass stores here.
check out composites one....if there isnt a comp one stroe in your area...they will tell you where they have distributors.