1985 90hp head gasket pics, diagnose help needed.

i was told i might have water in a cylinder causing a mis-fire, i did have a wet plug, but i did not check to see if it was fuel or water. i decided to pull the head just to have a look anyway.

here is what i found. if anyone can read this gasket and tell me what or where it appears to have leaked please tell me. i have several pics, if it will help anyone to be able to help me.

you guys have been great so far,

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/captaincatfishsboat/media/SAM_0178.jpg.html

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/captaincatfishsboat/media/SAM_0181_1.jpg.html

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The head gasket looks fine. The seal ring is intact for both cyls. The pistons look normal, somewhat wet, oily-after idling for a while. Cyl walls look excellent. Do not see any real problem, except-the middle rubber water deflector may have the start of a restriction. It may be restricting water flow slightly-hard to tell from this picture. See attached pic of how the center deflector it should look. water diverters.jpg (The right-most deflector is out of position in this pic.) I don't see signs of water. You can get water in the cyl from a leaky exhaust manifold.

Last edited:
thanks for looking, i will put everything back together and run it and see if i still get water in the cylinder. i'm guess if i do the most likely culprit will be the exhaust gasket?

thanks for all the help, i ended up removing the exhaust covers to take a look and to check for water leaks, i could not find any signs of leakage, i reassembled the motor and rebuilt the carbs and replaced the plugs, i'm not sure which 1 fixed it, but it runs great, we have been out 3 or 4 days in a row and it has been doing perfect,

thanks for all the help and advice.
mark

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If it's not the head gaskets, then it's the exhaust cover gasket. Good call on the exhaust gasket.