1985 70hp evinrude

gofastman1

Cadet
Got one that I just can not figure out, need help, please. I have done a lot of work to this and spent a ton of money with no positive reactions.
it starts fine, it runs only on the top 2 cylinders, the bottom cylinder will not fire, I have REPLACED the carburetors with new, all coils, base timer, reed valves, plugs, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel tank.

Yes this was all done at a shop and 1400 dollars later and this thing still does not run and a huge dumb look of I don't know what is wrong with this motor.
I had then ran out of money...so it has sat since last Sept.... Im trying to get this going again now. so Im trying to do this my self.

I have taken the carbs and swap them from cylinder to cylinder to see if it was a fuel issue, and see if the problem would move to another cylinder, it did not move.

Compression on all three cylinders is 130 to 138.
I can pull the plug wire off of cylinder 1 and have an rpm drop, pull off cyl. 2 and it will kill the motor.
pull off cyl. 3 and it does nothing. So I know this cylinder is not doing anything

I have spark, have checked it with a spark gap gauge, plenty of nice blue arc, all three cylinders.

questions I have first is, can the air/fuel mixture be getting pulled into cylinder 2 in the lower crankcase, starving cylinder 3? And that is why when I pull the plug on cylinder 2 it will kill the engine? Cylinder 2 seems to be the power cylinder.
If this is happening, Why?

If anybody can give me some help please, The only thing that has not been changed on this motor is the block, crank, and pistons.
Everything else has been replaced, and nobody can find what is wrong with this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your cyl-drop test which you performed would seem to indicate that you have no spark on the bottom plug. After running for a minute, pull the bottom plug. Does it appear wet or dry? That will tell you something. Also-after running the engine for 30 seconds, pull the bottom plug out, then crank the engine. You should see a light fuel mist blowing out the plug hole every rpm. That's normal.