1985 20' Century Palomino Rebuild- Help Please

Hello All,
I have been reading on this site for reference for quite some time now, and it has given me enough courage to tackle this project. So, thank you all! Although it seems to be taking more time, I am only working on half of the boat at one time to prevent hull distortion- but I'm not sure if it even matters at this point, and I will explain later. I bought this boat in February, and it seemed solid at the time, but as I found out, all of the water saturated wood/foam was frozen, making it seem solid. I learned my lesson when I took the boat out on the lake with my family and she took on water very quickly. Essentially, the bilge pump was just a little too underrated, and allowed the water to build up to the stator, and shorted out the electrical system. It was a boating experience from down under (not Australia, either). We got it back to the ramp, eventually, with OODLES of extra water aboard. As I found out, the water was coming in from the bottom (anode) bolts of the transom assembly. I thought, "OH, I can just get it home, and tighten the bolts, and she will be good to go." As it turns out, the more I tightened the bolts, the more the gelcoat cracked.. :( It was at that point that I reaplized there wasn't any wood left down there to tighten down on. Then I thought, "Oh, I'll just change the transom out, and it will all be fine." Fate has a way of kicking my butt. When I removed the motor, I found that every piece of wood in the boat was rotten into nearly a powder. This made wood removal easy- I just shop vaccumed it out. There is literally nothing left of the stringers, and I found it odd that it only has two. I have fabricated a new right stringer, and lined the bottom of it with 1/2" Polyisocyanurate foam (this supposedly compatible with polyester resin).

There are still some small 1/4" gaps between the foam and the hull. Do these gaps need to be filled? My second question is should I encase the entire stringer? The originals only had one side of the stringer laminated to the hull, and was tabbed out about 6". And my third question is: Is two or three millimeters of hull hook acceptable, or should I adjust it before I install the new stringer? I plan to use 1708 fiberglass, as this was what was originally used in the boat.

Attachments

• 100_1902.jpg
    100_1902.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat tear down 012.jpg
    boat tear down 012.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • boat tear down 004.jpg
    boat tear down 004.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1965.jpg
    100_1965.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1957.jpg
    100_1957.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
Re: 1985 20' Century Palomino Rebuild- Help Please

Newbie,

Welcome to I-boats. Nice looking boat and sorry to hear about your rotten experiences so far. I know, I know...:p

Stringer looks good so far. You don't need the foam on the bottom edge. Just use some PL premium construction adhesive and lay down a nice thick bead and bed that stringer down. The PL will fill any gaps that exist. Remove the excess PL. Once that has set-up, then apply an even filet of "peanut butter" resin mix at the stringer hull joint so that the glass will lay down evenly. Glass the stringer in with the 1708. You need to apply to both sides of the stringer and down onto the hull accross the filets You can just seal the top edge of the stringer with resin.

As far as the hull hook goes, it doesn't sound too significant. Is it truly a hook that you can see/measure on the outside of the boat? Or just a curve you notice in your stringer? If it is the stringer then don't worry about it. If it is noticable out side then you will need to do some glass work to fix it.

Re: 1985 20' Century Palomino Rebuild- Help Please

Newbie,

Welcome to I-boats. Nice looking boat and sorry to hear about your rotten experiences so far. I know, I know...:p

Stringer looks good so far. You don't need the foam on the bottom edge. Just use some PL premium construction adhesive and lay down a nice thick bead and bed that stringer down. The PL will fill any gaps that exist. Remove the excess PL. Once that has set-up, then apply an even filet of "peanut butter" resin mix at the stringer hull joint so that the glass will lay down evenly. Glass the stringer in with the 1708. You need to apply to both sides of the stringer and down onto the hull accross the filets You can just seal the top edge of the stringer with resin.

As far as the hull hook goes, it doesn't sound too significant. Is it truly a hook that you can see/measure on the outside of the boat? Or just a curve you notice in your stringer? If it is the stringer then don't worry about it. If it is noticable out side then you will need to do some glass work to fix it.

Thanks! :) The PL sounds like a good idea to me. That is what I used to join the two pieces of the stringer together. I measured the hull hook by running a string across the keel from the bow to the end of the transom. In the center of the boat there is a 3mm gap between the keel and the string.

Thank you very much for all of your help!