1984 Jeep CJ7 as tow vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 Jeep CJ7 as tow vehicle

one more thing you won't like is... If you are asking folks on a boating forum "What do I do with the rear self adjusters and the E brake cable and what not?" then you probably should get a qualified mechanic to properly repair your brakes.... This is a very simple job for someone with the know how but a couple easy to make mistakes made by a novice working on the brakes could prove fatal.... Short wheelbase vehicles are not only poor tow vehicles but are notoriusly unforgiving when things go wrong

I own two wranglers along with most of the parts to build a third.... One has 1 ton running gear a v8 and a stretched wheelbase with 38" tires and the other has a 2.5" lift with 31" radials... I have had 3 or 4 others and am always looking for my next jeep... I am a member of a local club and an avid offroader... I also have a friend with one leg because..... Traffic slowed suddenly in front of him while was towing his little bass boat with his jeep around a slight curve... he jacknifed and balled up in the ditch.... I tried to tell him too....

yea I know a guy that was towing a 19ft bowrider with a 2500 dodge ram he was 100ft behind someone doin 40mph they slapped on the brakes and so did he even with that big rig anti lock breaks and surge brakes on his trailer he ended up totaling his dodge and almost killin the people in the car he hit, it doesnt matter what your drivin if its your time its your time

Overnighter20

Seaman Apprentice

I know the newer Wrangler Jeeps are only rated for 1000 lbs. Are they that much different than the old CJ's?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't tow anywhere near 3000 lbs with one...but then again I don't live in the south!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yea I know a guy that was towing a 19ft bowrider with a 2500 dodge ram he was 100ft behind someone doin 40mph they slapped on the brakes and so did he even with that big rig anti lock breaks and surge brakes on his trailer he ended up totaling his dodge and almost killin the people in the car he hit, it doesnt matter what your drivin if its your time its your time
that makes another good point.... 2 second following distance at 40 mph is about 117 feet...... obviously not far enough in this case..... when towing at least tripple that is reasonable

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1992 YJ with a 4 cylinder engine and once towed a trailer with electric brakes weighing about 4000 pounds. It was only 6 miles down back roads but that trip was scary! Acceleration was okay but for stopping I only used the trailer brakes - it felt like if I used the Jeep brakes the trailer would just run over the Jeep.

You can do anything if you are careful - it is the other idiots on the road that are the problem.....

reelfishin

Captain

I had a 1984 CJ7, with the inline 6 and auto trans, I pulled a 15' Grumman bass boat with it, but that was it's limit. I can't say about now, but back then you couldn't buy a real hitch for the thing, only a skinny little drawbar that the dealer sold.
My boat weighed in at about 1350 on the trailer with fuel, I pulled a pop up camper home with it once, the camper pushed me all over the road. The Jeep had plenty of pulling power, it just didn't handle worth a crap with a trailer on it. It would stop just fine, but cornering and general maneuvering on the highway was a real issue. The Jeep felt like I was pulling a house not a small boat. The Jeep and boat were brand new when I had them.
I pulled a buddies boat once with it, a 17' trihull, I had the thing in 4low on the ramp, hooked up the boat and spun wheels up the ramp with four big guys standing on the trailer tongue to give me traction. I traded it in for a Dodge Ram Charger in 1987, and soon after bought myself a left over F150 as a tow vehicle. I loved my Jeep but it just wasn't practical as a tow vehicle over any distance, and at the time, I had about an hour ride to the ramp. If I were only towing a few miles, then it wouldn't have been an issue but to have to negotiate rush hour traffic two bridges, and several off ramps, the Jeep just didn't cut it. It was fine for getting back into places where nothing else would go but you couldn't take much with you. Also, looking back, it also wasn't all that great on gas either. I remember being pretty impressed with the F150 I bought getting 18 mpg, when the Jeep never got more than about 12 or so per gallon, and even worse towing that boat.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I know the newer Wrangler Jeeps are only rated for 1000 lbs. Are they that much different than the old CJ's?

The CJ's are leaf sprung at all four corners, with the front springs being "reverse hung". That means the fixed mounting point is behind the axle.

The new wranglers ( anything after [I think] 86 ) are coil sprung on the front.

ALSO, to the OP.

I am NOT jeep bashing. I tow regularly with an XJ. My brother and I have both towed with a CJ and found it wanting.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

97 and up are 4 link and coil sprung with track bars at both ends.....there were no 96 wranglers .... all cj's and wranglers up to 95 have leaf springs at both ends with front shackles in front of leaves and rear shackles in rear of leaves... cj's have narrower frames and the springs are thus further inboard which makes them even less stable than wranglers.... they also have 2" wide springs instead of 2.5" on wranglers which was another stability improvement

On a slow "wagon trail" you can pull quite alot with one but at highway speeds it's a whole different animal.... I tow a 10' hot sports jet'n'cat with mine... it is an open center console jetboat with a 700 cc yamaha waverunner III driveline..... probably weighs 6-800 with trailer and while I drive confidently with it I follow a little less closely and keep it 65 or below instead of the 75-80 they run on the freeway here

HappierWet

97 and up are 4 link and coil sprung with track bars at both ends.....there were no 96 wranglers .... all cj's and wranglers up to 95 have leaf springs at both ends with front shackles in front of leaves and rear shackles in rear of leaves... cj's have narrower frames and the springs are thus further inboard which makes them even less stable than wranglers.... they also have 2" wide springs instead of 2.5" on wranglers which was another stability improvement

On a slow "wagon trail" you can pull quite alot with one but at highway speeds it's a whole different animal.... I tow a 10' hot sports jet'n'cat with mine... it is an open center console jetboat with a 700 cc yamaha waverunner III driveline..... probably weighs 6-800 with trailer and while I drive confidently with it I follow a little less closely and keep it 65 or below instead of the 75-80 they run on the freeway here

Good catch Smoke. I thought the YJ in 87 started the coil spring production.

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The biggest issue is wheelbase. This is the main factor that keeps, or fails to keep, the jeep pointed in the direction that you want. Leaf springs are fine. There are plenty of 1 ton trucks with leaf springs all around. Stretch the wheelbase and you'll be golden. :D

I've got a buddy with a yj (early leaf-sprung wranger) that now has a 120" wheel base (and a linked suspension w/ coils front and rear). If it wasn't for the full hydraulic steering (and 44 in boggers :cool:) it'd be a great tow vehicle!

I have an XJ with the tow package so it's rated at 5500 lb. The manual transmission ones were rated at 3500 lb. It has always towed well but I don't want to pull more than 3500.

HappierWet

I'm not saying anything against leaf springs. Overnighter20 asked if the wrangler were much different from the CJ's. I thought ( incorrectly ) that earliest wranglers ( YJ ) were the first with coil spring front axles.
Also, IMHO, the short wheelbase is one of two problems....the second being light vehicle weight.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Back to the point of your post:

You should find a good jeep forum and find a good sticky on brake adjustment.

Some vehicles with drums in the rear you have to back up and hit the brakes to adjust. Some you need to spin a little star wheel.

If you don't have ample braking, I wouldn't pull a trailer, be it a Kia or a Kenworth. Drum brakes are fine, leaf springs are fine, but a system that isn't working how it should is not.

Here's the instructions on the sticky of my favorite board for my particular tow vehicle:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/brake-adjustments-pictures-t207170.html?t=207170

You need to find something like that, or invest in a set of factory service manuals. Brake adjustments should be very easy, or you need to replace some parts.

Also, if you didn't flush your brakes until the fluid cleared up, you did yourself a disservice.

Good luck!

d

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All this back and forth and calling of idiots is fruitless. Safe if to say the poster doesn't want to hear what experienced folks have to say. The original post says his brakes couldn't hold him on the not so steep ramp. It doesn't take a nuclear physicist to surmise from that statement that something is seriously wrong with no more boat than he has.......unless he is lowering into the grand canyon.

I havent read these posts for long but I have never been mislead by a moderators postings and those postings only come based on all the information provided by those inquiring. If you have a question give all the information and receive the suggestions with an open mind.

Sincerely Boater and Jeeper!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just acquired this Jeep as my new tow vehicle. I tow small jet boats, a bass boat, and 2 jet skies. I just need advice from some of you on my E-brake. i put in new back and front brakes and flushed all the fluid. I am still nervous though because last time on the ramp my brakes did not stop me and it was not very steep. I know this is a boat forum but I need help!

What do I do with the rear self adjusters and the E brake cable and what not?

Please help!
All this back and forth and calling of idiots is fruitless
I agree DEKE. It is also kinda funny how many chimed in on a brake question, though it could be debated whether this non-stopping situation quoted above, was before, or after the brake work, and then the thing morphed into a big ol debate about weights and axles and wheelbase.

I cared not to comment before, cause there are quite a few good car mechanics on here, but come on. This looks like the kids game of telephone, where someone in a group says one thing to the guy to the left, he repeats it to next next guy, and so on...and after it passes around the sentence that the last guy says has nothing, or very little to do with the first sentence said by guy number one.

Rant off.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The original post says his brakes couldn't hold him on the not so steep ramp. It doesn't take a nuclear physicist to surmise from that statement that something is seriously wrong with no more boat than he has.......unless he is lowering into the grand canyon.
The title of the thread is 1984 Jeep CJ7 as a tow vehicle. Most people's opinion is that it is not a very good tow vehicle. Maybe the OP should have a different title if he doesn't want advice that pertains to the title.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good point..but I did read the original post, maybe we shouldn't snap judge off the original title and read the post that generated this thread by using some "Common Sense." Its Kind of like email at work. Everyone reads the first sentence and responds. LOL.:D

Our poster seems to have made up his mind and doesn't much appreciate differing opinions.

Just a thought.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

which is exactly why I told him that if he truly didn't want anything except mechanical help fixing his brakes that a boating forum is the wrong place to ask... and that further more if he is asking for that here he may not be qualified to service such a critical safety system and might be better off seeking professional help with the problem

I for one NEVER insulted him

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I'd have to agree with the cautions offered about not towing anything above the tow rating of any vehicle but especially one with such a short wheelbase...the thing is you can feel that you can get away with it if you just do low speed towing but the minute more than 35 mph is involved trouble can start...that's when physics takes over and why the Jeep engineers assigned the tow ratings that they did. If I wanted to tow with a vintage Jeep I'd choose a SJ Wagoneer with the V-8 and Quadratrac...they were rated to tow 5000 lbs like the later Grands were. I have towed about 4000 with both my 98 Grand with the 4.0 Six and my 07 Grand with the 5.7 Hemi. The 07 is a much better tow vehicle because of the drivetrain...the Hemi and the new Chrysler 5 speed is light years ahead of anything Jeeps had before...and Quadradrive II (full time 2 speed transfer case and electronically locking front and rear differentials) has to be experienced to be belived..it's that good...Also the newer Grands have a longer wheelbase, are heavier and the ride is more stable because the front independent suspension much smoother riding than the solid axle. Finally the brakes on the late model Grands are 100% better than the little 11" discs on my old 98...still the 98 did fine for towing a 20' around town. I live 350 feet from the water so I don't do any long distance towing...if I did I'd only tow it with the 07 Hemi...

Seadoomanls

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate all of you guys replies. I do not belong to any other forum so I thought I would ask on here. BIG MISTAKE (did not realize how childish or misleading some people are i.e. Jeeps tow more than 1000 lbs obviously)

As to the latest response, why does this thread keep going back to me using it to go over a tow rating? In my first post I clearly quote 2700 lbs i think. Read my second post where I said I retract that statement that the boat only weighs about 1700. SO PLEASE STOP WITH THE WHOLE IDEA THAT I AM TRYING TO USE THIS TO TOW A BEHEMOTH!

Thanks to a few of you who helped, we concluded that a Jeep Wrangler can safely tow 2500lbs max! (Not the ridiculous 5000 one guy said or the underestimated 1000 lbs another guy said. Those were just ridiculous and a waste of forum space to be quite honest.)

Again, thank you to those of you who were realistic and put time into research and find that 2000-2500 lbs is ok.

I did the brakes, works perfect!! I am very handy, only reason I even bothered to make a post was just to see if anybody would tell me something out of the ordinary. I don't know exactly!

So for those who followed this thread: I re did the whole brake system with a new e-brake cable. Towed my 1700 lbs boat and I couldnt even tell it was back there, no jerk or anything. Worked beautifully at the boat ramp (didn't need it but I did use a wheel chock as good practice) Boat was pulled out in 2-high and all is well.

Thread dead I hope!

Overnighter20

Seaman Apprentice

The 1000 I said was not an under estimation, it was a fact about newer wranglers, from the jeep website. I merely asked how different it was from an old cj.

Status
Not open for further replies.