1984 Islander engine cover.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
My 1984 19 foot Islander does not have its original engine cover and I would like to build one that is close to the original.
I need to know the measurements and if possible a picture or 2 so I have something to work with.
This is for an I/O 1984 Islander with the 140 horse engine.
Thank you very much for any help you can give.
Cornelis.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 Islander engine cover.

I had the same boat with an engine cover that was one piece and hinged to the floor at the front. It makes access to the engine and bilge SO much easier without that splash wall. If you need the doghouse out of the way completely just unscrew the hinge and lift out the doghouse or slide it forward. I liked it so much I am going to do the same thing with my 22' Islander with the 4.3

airshot

Rear Admiral

I have a 1984 Islander also however mine is the 22' version. Just a suggestion for you, why not make a cover to suit your own needs and wants. What I mean is...I replaced mine when the interior was redone, as I primarily fish the two jump seats were never used so they were removed and the dog house was made a little bigger and more heavy duty so it can be climbed on etc. Also the hole around the engine compartment was made slightly larger so I can change my oil with a catch pan, makes the engine much easier to work on. We have found the two vacant spots where the jump seats used to be is the favorite fishing spots and the dog house makes a nice seat for two. Just some suggestions that may make your boating less hassle.

Airshot

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mine never had the jump seats, and I would count them not usefull and only in the way if you use your boat for fishing.
I agree with airshot, make your motor housing useful and strong and hinged.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Thank you gentlemen for your advice. Hinged it shall be.