1984 force 125 spark issue

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will get spark on cylinder 1 I moved the wire from cylinder 1 coil to the others to test the coils and also got spark so the coils are good

Every so often I will get spark on cylinder 3 between testing the other 2 cylinders which are 2 and 4 I have yet to get any type of spark from,
I swap the cdi plugs around and I would still only get spark on cylinder 1. I’m thrown for a loop

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
How are you testing for spark? What wires are you talking about moving from cylinder 1 to the other coils? Try inserting some periods here and there and make complete sentences. I am really struggling to understand what you are saying.

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, yes I’m testing for spark so the wires on the cdi box. There’s 2 cdi boxes, coil one has an orange wire and coil 2 has a red wire, and same with the other cdi box that feeds the other 2 coils.
When I move the orange wire to each coil from the cdi box it will give me spark on each coil that I plug it into, the trigger wires that plugs into the stator I believe, are 4. Pin, if I swap the trigger wires around from cdi box 1 to cdi box 2 I still only get spark on the one wire that feeds cylinder 1 which is the orange wire.

I will have intermediate spark (off and on) on the other orange wire out of the other cdi box.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Are you using a spark gap tester How do you know if you have spark?

Nordin

Commander
You can troubleshoot these ignition system with a VOM and a DVA adapter.
If you are handy you can build your own DVA adapter it is very easy.
It contains a resistor, a electrolytic capacitor and a diod.
Google DVA adapter and you get the schematic for it.

Go to Outboardignitiondotcom and you have the troubleshooting chart.
I have written down the troubleshooting for this ignition a couple of times at this forum but I will not do it again.
Just follow the troubleshoot chart from CDI Electronics at Outboardignition web site.

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found out when ohoming my stator I only get 332 instead of 500-800

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Is the stator new? CDI stators can read lower than OEM.
Borrow/buy another meter and see if that makes a difference?
Lots of times, if theres any type reading it can be good

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is the stator new? CDI stators can read lower than OEM.
Borrow/buy another meter and see if that makes a difference?
Lots of times, if theres any type reading it can be good
I used 2. Meters and got 328 on both and 332 stator was also oem I believe and trigger test good as well

Attachments

• IMG_9516.jpeg
    IMG_9516.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 12

Nordin

Commander
Just check the resistance (Ohm) for the trigger and stator are not 100% they are good.
The DVA voltage output from the stator and the trigger give you the answer if they are good or bad.

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just check the resistance (Ohm) for the trigger and stator are not 100% they are good.
The DVA voltage output from the stator and the trigger give you the answer if they are good or bad.
Shouldn’t the numbers be somewhat close ?

Nordin

Commander
There might be couple of brands out there but they are simply the same.
A DVA adapter contains as I said before a capacitor a diod and a resistor.
The purpose of it is to rectifie the AC voltage to DC voltage and store it in a capacitor.
Then you are able to read the peak voltage from the stator as it is stored in the capacitor.

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I ordered one and it will be here in a couple days do I need to test the stator seperate from the trigger?
I see some people plugging it into the cdi before it gets to the coil

Nordin

Commander
You test them separate and do it with them disconnected and connected to the terminal block or connector plugs.
Checking with them connected give you answer if they put out right voltage when under load (CDI box).

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I check the trigger wire all separate everything was above .5 - .8 dva

The stator on both yellow blue was 205-230 dva

Still getting spark in cylinder one and only cylinder one Dosnt matter which cdi I plug it into

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Coils are all reading at 162 being ohmed

so now i am recieveing spark on cylinder 1 and 3, and intermediate spark on 2 and none on 4
the stator does look like some spots got hot and some little black balls are stuck to some of the coils. but the dva still test within range?

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Do you have plug connectors to the CDI boxes or a terminal strip?
If plug connectors check the connectors for corrosion or oxide at the pins and sleeves.
If terminal stripe check the lugs for bad connection, especially under the heat shrink tubes.
That was a common issue for these ignition systems.

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG_9543.jpeg
Could this be a problem

Attachments

• IMG_9540.jpeg
    IMG_9540.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9541.jpeg
    IMG_9541.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2