1984 force 125 spark issue again?

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I bought the boat it worked for a while then lost spark, I found the cdi box to be the issue so I changed it used it twice and as I pulled up the the boat ramp the boat died again, I tried cranking when I got home and nothing would happend

Is started checking dva in stator and trigger and the trigger seemed a little funny so i changed it,

Didn’t fix the problem, I changed the stator because I saw some post stating a good testing stator can still be bad, after changing that still nothing, cdi boxes are within range and so is coil,

I do not think it would be the cdi box because no spark on all 4 I have tried unplugging the rectifier and unplugging each cdi box and testing for spark then and still nothing, I am stumped

The Force power

Commander
When I bought the boat it worked for a while then lost spark, I found the cdi box to be the issue so I changed it used it twice and as I pulled up the the boat ramp the boat died again, I tried cranking when I got home and nothing would happend

Is started checking dva in stator and trigger and the trigger seemed a little funny so i changed it,

Didn’t fix the problem, I changed the stator because I saw some post stating a good testing stator can still be bad, after changing that still nothing, cdi boxes are within range and so is coil,

I do not think it would be the cdi box because no spark on all 4 I have tried unplugging the rectifier and unplugging each cdi box and testing for spark then and still nothing, I am stumped
(1) Disconnect the "kill-wire" off the terminal-strip to see if there's a ground path caused by either the ignition-switch and or rubbed-through wire(s) OR if your "man overboard" switch if grounding
(2) Remove the spark-plugs (make sure their grounded) and see if they sparks
(a slow turning/weak starter will not turn the flywheel fast enough to produce enough electricity to create spark)
keep us posted

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
(1) Disconnect the "kill-wire" off the terminal-strip to see if there's a ground path caused by either the ignition-switch and or rubbed-through wire(s) OR if your "man overboard" switch if grounding
(a slow turning/weak starter will not turn the flywheel fast enough to produce enough electricity to create spark)
keep us posted
I’m assuming that would be the white wire for the kill wire, tried taking both off and one at a time got nothing and this boat dosnt have a man overboard switch anywhere

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So im assuming the coils are all bad, which is really weird to me but i guess possible, im getting 0.0 when im ohming the primary side of the coils out and getting 160 on each secondary side.... i do not thing either is in range but i should atleast get .1 on the primary side and its not even moving from 0.0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
In almost 40 years I have only seen 1-2 coils gone bad.
All 4?? I seriously doubt it.
That year they used a kill switch on the dash, check it out.

The Force power

Commander
I’m assuming that would be the white wire for the kill wire, tried taking both off and one at a time got nothing
Thats one way of checking OR remove the wire on the terminal-strip that leads to the front of the boat(this way you verify its not the ignition-switch
Have you done this step?
ALSO check every single wire-connector on the terminal-strip! (they tend to break under the shrink-tube) wiggle & tug on the wires and I bet you'l/ have a few come loose

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats one way of checking OR remove the wire on the terminal-strip that leads to the front of the boat(this way you verify its not the ignition-switch
Have you done this step?
I have no kill switch at all only thing there is the key that turns it on and off

The Force power

Commander
I have no kill switch at all only thing there is the key that turns it on and off
Yes, you mentioned that already lets move on
remove the wire on the terminal-strip that leads to the front of the boat
(this way you verify its not the ignition-switch

slimmer57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, you mentioned that already lets move on
remove the wire on the terminal-strip that leads to the front of the boat
(this way you verify its not the ignition-switch
So u checked dva on trigger it was not giving any readings so I swapped it to the old one and had good dva,

I am now getting spark on each cylinder with the spark gap tester but dosnt seem to work when I put the spark plug straight to ground there’s no spark on the plug tried changing the plugs still nothing

What would cause a low spark issue like this

The Force power

Commander
what the chances of the magnet not being strong?
Three and Four Cylinder Engines Using Separate Switch Boxes and Ignition Coils
IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER:
  1. Disconnect kill wire AT THE PACK.
  2. Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger.
  3. Measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, reading s should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets range from 680 - 800 ohms.
  4. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.
    NO FIRE OR INTERMITTENT ON ONE CYLINDER:
    1. Check stator and trigger resistance, trigger wire sets read approximately 50 ohms between the wire sets (DVA-4V or more), stator reads 680-800 ohms (factory) and 200- 300 (CDI/RAPAIR) DVA 180V or more from blue to yellow.
    2. If readings are good, disconnect kill wire from one pack. If the dead cylinder starts firing, the problem is likely the blocking diode in the other pack.
    NO FIRE ON TWO CYLINDERS:
    • If two cylinders from the same CD unit will not fire, the problem is usually in the stator. Test per above.
    ENGINE WILL NOT KILL:
    • Check kill circuit in the pack by using a jumper wire connected to the kill wire coming out of the pack and shorting it to ground. If this kills the pack, the kill circuit in the harness or on the boat is bad, possibly the ignition switch.
    COILS ONLY FIRE WiTH THE SPARK PLUGS OUT:
    • Check for dragging starter or low battery causing slow cranking speed. DVA test stator and trigger.
    HIGH SPEED MISS:
    1. DVA check stator voltage to each pack at high speed. If it exceeds 400 volts, replace the pack.
    2. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.

The Force power

Commander
I am now getting spark on each cylinder with the spark gap tester but dosnt seem to work when I put the spark plug straight to ground there’s no spark on the plug tried changing the plugs still nothing

What would cause a low spark issue like this
Are you using the correct plugs?

The Force power

Commander
I asked you if and/or what plugs you are using for a reason! so it would be common courtesy to provide an answer to help the person (that is trying to help you) to diagnose.

To your last question asked "when I disconnected one of the cdi boxes the other one started producing spark so I’m guessing the cdi box that is disconnected is bad"
I'm inclined to say; yes it seems to as outlined in NO FIRE OR INTERMITTENT ON ONE CYLINDER: STEP 2

Good luck with your motor