1984 Chrysler 85hp tach & wiring questions

JLamb

Cadet
My 84 Chrysler 85HP had some trauma inflicted to the boats original wiring harnes - an 84 Galaxie (motor harnes is OK). It has only a chrysler tach and fuel gage which seem to be the original factory units.

It has a chrysler tach but it is not connected. I was told that the tach has two functions - one is obviously as a tach, the other function is to indicate alternator operation. Are any additional wires used to connect the tach beside the black and white ones listed as tach on the motor terminal block?

A second question is about the temp sensor (located next to the upper plug). The orange wire for it comes out to the dash but there is nothing to connect it to. Is this normal or is its function also imbeded inside the tach or fuel gage? A light I cant see in daylight maybe?

Lastly, there is BIG white wire comming all the way up to the dash which ohms out to the starter relay. It looks just like the BIG white wires on the motor (insulation color, age, connector type and color). What is this used for?

Any help is apprecisted.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Chrysler 85hp tach & wiring questions

The tach is just a tach. The wiring harness should have a purple wire for the tach.The reason it's unhooked might be it went bad and stopped the motor from starting.A volt guage can be put in the system if needed.
The orange lead should have a buzzer attached to it.
The starter should have a yellow lead.
The white wire in the harness should go to the magneto.
If someone ran leads outside the harness there might have been a problem with the harness.
Buy the OEM service manual. It will have the diagrams you need. Jerry

JLamb

Cadet

No buzzer for sure. Where can I find one or specs? I have a clymer manual - I also know of the seloc - is the OEM manual a chrysler pub? Wher can they be had? System is a CD ignition - one coil and a distributor - motorola type. There is a purple wire but the Engine terminal block and clymer manual both indicate a small gage white wire for the tach... Thanks for the help.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Look up chrysler crew on the internet. You can buy a factory manual from them in PDF format for your computer. You might want to recheck that model number it looks like it is missing some numbers. Buzzer horn is part number F5H043 and costs about 35 bucks. Tach is no longer availible. If the tach that you have is not an original chrysler tach the purple wire will not work. There are only certian aftermarket tachometers that will work on that motor and I believe the pickup for those is off the White wire. Maybe get the correct model number first then contact chrysler crew. A correct number for an 84 would be 858C4H.

JLamb

Cadet

Will do. The model number off the engine plate is 858h2f. Make sense? It is a Chrysler tack and worked prior to wiring melt down.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

That model number is for a 1982. If tach does not work the rectifier might be shot. A test for this would be if you have the motor out on the lake hook a hand held volt meter to it. If voltage goes over 13 volts when motor is cruising chances are the rectifier works. If not they are typically the first thing to go when wiring fries.

JLamb

Cadet

The Crew site is very cool. Thanks for the link. I will get a manual and check out the tach on the lake soon. I appreciate the help.

JLamb

Cadet

Tach is working now - also added a water pump tell-tale from another post so I am almost ready to take it up to the lake. How can I determine if the alternator is running? As per typical automotive testing I checked the voltage across the batery - I measured 12.5V at all RPM. This leads me to believe that the alternator is not working? I was expecting 14V...

Any idea where I can get that overtemp buzzer? Sea-way wants to sell me a kit for $100+ ...

Thanks again