1984 Century floor construction

bockslanding

Cadet
I'm looking at an '84 Mustang, 20'er, that has been "completely" renovated after having sat uncovered for 8 years in Iowa weather. The boat looks great, the mechanical work sounds like it was done with care. My concern is what's beneath the floor. If this boat doesn't have a solid fiberglass floor, I'm afraid for the stringers and the foam. Short of taking it to a scale and weighing it to see how much it exceeds the listed gvw of 1300 lbs, is there any way to know if this thing is waterlogged? Does anyone know the floor construction methods used in '84? Any other opinions on this boat would be appreciated.

imported_Cec

Cadet
Re: 1984 Century floor construction

Did you ever get the answer to this one? I've just spent the weekend building a new bow hatch and tearing into the soaked and rotting cabin materials. It got me to wondering if the 6000 is a one-off or a wooden frame with glass encapsulating?

Does anyone know? Or possibly know whwere I could find out?

mtp147

Recruit

the floor and stringer are wood and glass over it. the floor is plywood and poor fomed .

davg

Cadet

I took up my floor in my 3000BR Century 20ft. and removed the fabric by pulling the staples out of the backside of the rotten wood. I used the wood as a template to make new floors out of 3/4" pressure treated plywood that I put a stain on to seal it. There is 2x2 beams laid into the floor that the screws go into. I had to replace some of them also with pressure treated 2x2's. Restaple the fabric onto the plywood and screw it back down using the same holes the screws came out of.THIS IS IMPORTANT SO YOU DON"T PUT A SCREW IN THE WRONG PLACE. USE STAINLESS screws that are exactley the same as the ones you take out,,,NOT LONGER OR SHORTER. The area under the rear seats next to the motor can be built back up with fiberglass resin and angel hair then covered with fiberglass cloth and resin. I am just finishing up around the rear port seat and had to put in some new 2x2's that frame the motor well. It is not a bad job at all. Just take the time to measure it all and be sure to put screws back where they came from,,not in a new spot.

liquid

Cadet

I took up my floor in my 3000BR Century 20ft. and removed the fabric by pulling the staples out of the backside of the rotten wood. I used the wood as a template to make new floors out of 3/4" pressure treated plywood that I put a stain on to seal it. There is 2x2 beams laid into the floor that the screws go into. I had to replace some of them also with pressure treated 2x2's. Restaple the fabric onto the plywood and screw it back down using the same holes the screws came out of.THIS IS IMPORTANT SO YOU DON"T PUT A SCREW IN THE WRONG PLACE. USE STAINLESS screws that are exactley the same as the ones you take out,,,NOT LONGER OR SHORTER. The area under the rear seats next to the motor can be built back up with fiberglass resin and angel hair then covered with fiberglass cloth and resin. I am just finishing up around the rear port seat and had to put in some new 2x2's that frame the motor well. It is not a bad job at all. Just take the time to measure it all and be sure to put screws back where they came from,,not in a new spot.

Would love to see some pics if you got 'em, about to do the same to a '85 Riviera.