1984 Bayliner Ski with 94 Merc Black Max 150HP 2.5 V6 Outboard

DustinAZ

Cadet
This is my first post and I’m a new potential boat owner. I don’t know where to start or who to ask so here I am. Any help would be appreciated. Looking to cruise and do some water play as well as fishing. The seller is asking 6000 for it.
Thank you

Here’s a link for more info

Attachments

• IMG_3099.jpeg
    IMG_3099.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 18

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
Please accept my input for how it is intended. My only desire is to help you. I'm a very long time boat owner having continuously owning at least one boat, sometimes more than one at the same time since 1990. Like you as a young guy my first boat I wanted something to get out on the lake with my young family, cruise and play. I found a 1985 Ebbtide Dynatrak 176SS fish and ski boat and kept it for 14 years. It was a great boat. This is what you need to always remember. Used boats can be a treasure or a curse. Shop and buy very carefully. I don't know used boat values in your area but $6K for a 1984 Bayliner would be way, way too much money for my area. In my opinion you can get a better brand (not wanting to start a war but most honest people will admit that Bayliner, especially that era were low cost price leader type boats without premium components or build quality). A 1984 Bayliner would be very suspect for rot problems in the wood structure. While you could do worse in the motor choice a 1994 Merc 2.5 2 stroke likely would be a ticking grenade. I'm just being honest with you. Look for a better brand later model boat. Stick with a Sea Ray, Ebbtide, Chaparral, Four Winns, Crownline, the list goes on. If possible get a (4) four stroke outboard. With the current economy being a buyers market $6K should go a lot further than what you are looking at. Whatever you find since you are new to boats please take my advice and spend a little money getting a reputable marine service dealer to check out the hull and the engine. Trust me, it would be money well spent.

DustinAZ

Cadet
I definitely appreciate the feedback, this is kind of what I was thinking as well but some confirmation goes a long way.

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
You're welcome and to clarify my last comment. Whatever you find get it checked out before you make any deal. The check out might not rule the boat - engine out but may give you some negotiating leverage. Good luck, hope you find that "treasure" that will be the perfect first boat for you:)

DustinAZ

Cadet
These are my other two options

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
Both options are better than the Bayliner. However both are inboard - outboards. That carries it's own potential headaches. Of the two I like the Sea Ray unless the 4 Winns is a much later model. I didn't see the model year on the 4 Winns. Also the 4 Winns looks longer than 18' which is great as it is hard to have too much boat, but it might be underpowered. V6 doesn't tell us much. If a small V6 and the boat is 19 - 20 foot you may end up wishing you had more power especially with a bunch of friends on board and / or towing for water sports. Boats generally do best and have the best resell if they have the maximum rated power. If I was considering the Sea Ray I would absolutely want to know who did all the work. Refurbishing a fiberglass boat requires a lot of skill to be done right and a lot of shade tree people can patch one up and make it look good but it won't hold up. If this boat was repaired by a shop with a reputation for quality repairs then it might be a good option. Remember, get the inspection of the hull and engine before you make an offer. The inspection is like a home inspection. You want everything gone over. Also another bit of advice. Take your time, don't make any rash decisions. Even after you have decided on a boat that had a great inspection, take a few days to ponder on it. Let the thrill of a potential new "toy" pass before you decide. Consider your finances, boats are holes in the water that we throw money down! Can you really afford to purchase the boat, use it, store it, fuel it, and maintain it. If it is meant to be the deal will still be there. Many times I was about to pull the trigger on a great boat only to take a little time and sometimes a better boat came along and sometimes the seller got nervous and came back at me with a better price. Just go slow. Good Luck!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It’s a bayliner ariva model. Fairly quick boats. She will go well enough with that engine on her. Check the transom, floor and stringers for condition though.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
A 40 year old Bayliner is 99.9% crap under any pretty you see.

A 40 year old (insert whatever name here) is 97.8% crap under any pretty you see.

If you haven't owned a boat before I implore you to not buy before you learn alot.

ALOT

Read this about 30 times until you understand it all.

you've got a lot of old guys that have made all the mistakes you are about to. we ain't mean, just honest

And even if in safe operating condition that boat is worth about $2500 tops. Being in AZ you might get lucky.

Whatever you do - listen to this.... remember when you fell in love and you quit thinking right and in the end came back to bite you? Do not fall in love with any boat you come across.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Please understand that I have no love for Bayliners, especially ones built in their darkest days, but I'm going to take the other side of the opinion here.

The one listed here is not an "ordinary" model. It has been customized extensively. I would wonder if all the rotten innards have been replaced / upgraded as well. If not, it would have been foolish to spend that kind of money.

Maybe a professional survey is warranted. If the OP's needs are met, maybe it deserves a closer look. Certainly it's not worth the asking price, but you never know how much negotiating can be done.

OTOH, a cobra is a non-starter and a 36 year old Searay (or any old boat) is worth more trouble than it's worth.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Bayliners are just like any other boat with wood in them stringers and transoms , they rot esp when abused and left un atended to fill with water, biggest thing is bayliners were cheap lots of folks bought them as a first boat and didint treat them as they should but again any boat that has wood can be rotten check them well

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’ll only say that these weren’t quite as **** as normal bayliners. Take from that what you will…but agree with most of the above too. Best of luck, whatever you decide. But I wouldn’t be paying any more than what the sum of its parts are worth. Take the boat out the equation for starters…that’s worth nothing on its own. The trailer and engine (if serviceable) are what you want to add up. Then you’ll have an idea of what it’s worth plus a wee bit, because it’s attached to a boat.

DustinAZ

Cadet
How about wellcraft boats. Excell model to be exact. I’m in the 8k range, it seems to be right in the transition from **** to decent.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How about wellcraft boats. Excell model to be exact. I’m in the 8k range, it seems to be right in the transition from **** to decent.
What year. Consider any fiberglass boat older than early 2000's a project