1983 mercruiser intake and exhaust valve HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmeadows02

Cadet
i have a 1983 mercruiser 4 cylinder 140 hp i just bought this boat the guy i got it from had a new head put on it. told me i would need to adjust the valves rocker arms what ever i took the cover off and they are all pretty loose took the motor to TDC on piston 1 and most of them are loose the only thing i cant figure out witch one is the intake or the exhaust i have looked every where online can't seem to find a diagram of this. can some one out there help me Thanks also there was a serial number on valve cover it is 3989793.. then i found one more above the starter it was 4157250 don't know if that will help just thought i would put them up incase ...

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: 1983 mercruiser intake and exhaust valve HELP!!!

The one closest to the exhaust port and the other is closer to the intake port just look at the intake runners and exhaust manifolds.

cmeadows02

Cadet

i can't tell which one is what the intake and exhaust are all one piece flat across the top.of manifold

a70eliminator

Captain

In that case, find TDC compression stroke (both valves closed) begin turnning crank clockwise until one valve begins to open and that will be the intake for sure, you really need to get a manual.

cmeadows02

Cadet

do that for each one i have the online manual but it don't tell me which is which

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From #1 cylinder E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E

riverdiver

Recruit

Thanks Don I just had the same problem. And it is not in the manual.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.