1983 mainship trawler

cyber-bill

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I just bought a 1983 mainship trawler and would appreciate any information either on the boat its equipment or the 165 h.p. perkins engine. The engine has about 2500 hours on it , and I would like information on what oil filters and fuel filters it uses and where can they be bought. Also how much oil does this engine take? The boat came with a vetus bow thruster, a simrad ap14 auto pilot, a simpson lawrence mechanical windlass, a northern lights 5.5k generator,and a raytheon r20 radar. this spring will be my first chance to run the boat so I am very interested in finding out all about it. Also how does this boat handle when it comes to docking in a cross wind? I understand this engine is economical at slow speeds, anyone have the same engine?

Thanks , Bill

yesiliveinhaiti

Recruit
Re: 1983 mainship trawler

Hi, I just bought a 1983 mainship trawler and would appreciate any information either on the boat its equipment or the 165 h.p. perkins engine. The engine has about 2500 hours on it , and I would like information on what oil filters and fuel filters it uses and where can they be bought. Also how much oil does this engine take? The boat came with a vetus bow thruster, a simrad ap14 auto pilot, a simpson lawrence mechanical windlass, a northern lights 5.5k generator,and a raytheon r20 radar. this spring will be my first chance to run the boat so I am very interested in finding out all about it. Also how does this boat handle when it comes to docking in a cross wind? I understand this engine is economical at slow speeds, anyone have the same engine?

Thanks , Bill

ok first of all you have an amazing boat just go to the dealer and buy oem filters they last better and it takes about 7 gallons of oil when you go get the fillters buy a couple of exrta belts cause they do wear out so when you dock in the cross wind use the wind to your advantage and just come form the opposite side use the wind to push you towards the dock rather then triying to fight it btw when you hit the reverse it has a tendensy to pull to one side the side which the prop turns yes i have the same perkins it uses about 5 gallons at wot and three at crusing speeds 8 knots if you plan on going on a long trip pull the heat exchanger from the back near the exhaust hose cause it will get stuck in the front clean it using muratic acid in 5 mins it will be good it burns about 1 quart of oil for every 12 hours of wot use so check the oil whenever you can keep extra oil in the boat incase of low oil i think you should be good and also change the impellers every couple of months to keep them fresh change both of them you should be good to go for the gen i have no idea cause mine is a westerbek so good luck to you have fun be safe