1983 Johnson 70 hp trim motor issues

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
I had this same problem last year and ended up buying a new t n t motor to fix the issue. Once again, my t n t motor is not responding to the switch on the throttle shift lever. I have read that to test the trim motor itself, you need to apply 12V to the Green wire (down) or 12V to the Blue wire (up). How do I appy 12V to either one of those wires without having a ground? Just put a jumper between pos battery post and wire I am wanting to test?
I just tested for voltage to the junction box and have 12.5 volts to there. Being by myself I cannot get anyone to run the switch at the throttle shift lever. But my thinking is that why would both relays go out in the junction box at the same time? So wanting to apply 12 V to the green and Blue wires seperately to test the motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You do not need a ground per say.----Just put one wire from the battery to blue and the other to green.------Then reverse them and post what happens.

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
Ok, just jumped wires both ways and have power to the trim motor. Without a helper I cannot test the two relays in the junction box. Switch in throttle/shift lever working, continuity both ways so that leads me to something either loose wire from switch to junction box or something in the junction box. For want of longer arms and contortionist abilities Looks like I am stuck. Any ideas?